Notices

Carb tuning at its BEST!!

Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb tuning at its BEST!!

I don't get on OSO very often but I thought I would so I could give a shout out to two fellow members. I bought a 32 Sunsation Dominator the middle of last summer with the help of offshorexcursion and love it! Once I got it home I started realizing that it was running kind of rough and the transom was getting really black when I ran it. I didn't want to lose boat time so ran it for the rest of the summer. This spring rolled around and decided that I needed to do something about it, offshorexcursion recommended I send my carbs and distributors to joe (MILD THUNDER) from here, who I met last summer at a fun run and have him rebuild them along with us doing the rest of the tune up.

I send the carbs and distributors down to joe (MILD THUNDER) and get the project started! He rebuilt the carbs and then proceeded to polish them just because he's a good guy. After a few texts and phone calls of him trying to explain to me how to set the timing and finish the tune up he decides out of nowhere to drive to northern Michigan from Chicago to help me out! I was floored, you don't find people like that in todays world! He not only drives up here but brings extra jets for my carbs, and his AFR meter so he can get me dialed in! Kevin (offshorexcursion) and Joe(MILD THUNDER) along with the little help of myself completed the entire tune up i.e plugs/wires/rebuilt carbs/distributors/fuel filters/oil filters/oil change/ AFR readings ect in a day and a half. The boat is now running like it has EFI engines. You hit the keys and bam they fire, idles around the dock like a dream! I LOVE IT!

Thanks a bunch guys, you most likely saved my summer.....

Last edited by BLEWAFUZE; 06-07-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mt. Always seems to go out to help us less gear heads. He's an asset on this community. Kudos to you both.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more than an asset, a wealth of knowledge
Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the kind words . I'm glad I could help get you ready for Cumberland.

I've made a lot of great friends thru oso, and aside from helping you out on this deal, it was nice to come up and had a great time with you guys. And thanks for the excellent dinner.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^ Looks like batman shorts are waaayyyy to tight. Has to be a Halloween costume and hopefully he didn't wash and shrink it in carb cleaner. Batman to the rescue

Last edited by BUP; 06-07-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 PM
BUP
Banned

You guys pictures kills me sometimes.

Anyways serious question what are you using for carb cleaner ? really just asking

And good job and nice gesture on your parts
Old 06-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
You guys pictures kills me sometimes.

Anyways serious question what are you using for carb cleaner ? really just asking

And good job and nice gesture on your parts
These carbs were some older Barry grant 850s. I chose not to soak them in anything like "berryman" , as that stuff can be tough on the aluminum BG used. These carbs got a cosmetic cleaning with an aluminum brightener acid that I dulute down. Internal passages are blown out with throttle body cleaner and then compressed air with a little blow gun that has a fine needle tip.

I couldn't help myself not to put the fuel bowls on the bench polisher to jazz them up for him.

Rather than rebuild the old msd pro billets that internally looked like they came off the titanic, i ordered him new ones, curved them, coater them internally with CRC SP400 and that was that . the deal I got on 2 new distributors was not even worth rebuilding the old ones cost or time wise.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts

SOMEBODY CALL FOR THE DYNAMIC DUO??
NO?
Mild has it under control?
Ok, just checking.. back in the bilge cave !
Old 06-07-2015, 10:43 PM
BUP
Banned

We used to use Merc Power tune to clean all carbs - in its day that was the best stuff . for the past 5 years, it is not even worth using these days as the EPA stepped in. very weak for any cleaning. More oil base than anything.

I made like a shacker basket that vibrated and moved - we would set the carbs in that filled with Merc power tune and the carbs would come out like new. I guess it was my own version way ahead of the ultra sonic machines that a lot use today.

A lot use ultra sonic cleaning machines like from Crest or Omegasonics. I have used them as well.

Some other stuff

pine sol

Toilet bowl cleaner

Tyme

White Vineger / distilled water and some dawn soap all mixed together

Varsol but not sure if is still around

the reason I asked because the very few carb apps I do see currently, I am looking for something to do a really good job with little effort. Some of these carbs apps from the rec boater are a complete mess, cleaning and rebuilding their carbs turns into a project..

Sorry for the ramble on. I am sure others might have asked what did you use to clean the carbs.

Last edited by BUP; 06-07-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With the ethanol that is showing up in today's fuels, I would think you would want some kind of mild acid to break down the deposits that tend to form in aluminum from that crap. Pour Coca Cola on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.