Used boat prices/short supply looming? >

Used boat prices/short supply looming?

Notices

Used boat prices/short supply looming?

Old 06-09-2015, 01:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Used boat prices/short supply looming?

Don't mean to single out one particular boat but I just read in the classifieds about a Black Thunder 2008 that was sold new in 2011. (Nice looking boat BTW). This is not the first time I have seen boats advertised that have apparently sat for a very long time before been sold. I guess that's just a reflection on the economy and the market that the world (and esp. the U.S.) has had to endure. Economy hits trouble, luxury toys move to the bottom of the list. Go fast boats have probably been hit harder than other segments of the market.

My big question, with much smaller numbers of new boats sold from say 2008...? to the present than in the previous 6-7 years, will there be a big shortage of late model used boats on the market. I think the economy world wide is improving slowly and this flows on to luxury items but that still leaves a hole in the used market. Anyone think used prices will improve on the popular brands if they're in top condition?

RR
Old 06-09-2015, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Don't mean to single out one particular boat but I just read in the classifieds about a Black Thunder 2008 that was sold new in 2011. (Nice looking boat BTW). This is not the first time I have seen boats advertised that have apparently sat for a very long time before been sold. I guess that's just a reflection on the economy and the market that the world (and esp. the U.S.) has had to endure. Economy hits trouble, luxury toys move to the bottom of the list. Go fast boats have probably been hit harder than other segments of the market.

My big question, with much smaller numbers of new boats sold from say 2008...? to the present than in the previous 6-7 years, will there be a big shortage of late model used boats on the market. I think the economy world wide is improving slowly and this flows on to luxury items but that still leaves a hole in the used market. Anyone think used prices will improve on the popular brands if they're in top condition?

RR
OSO member Omerta One called this scenario a few years back and he is right (less nice inventory). One caveat that no one predicted was there are less interested buyers in that type of boat. Die hard go fast guys that bought multiple boats are aging, center consoles are all the rage so less guys are buying go fast stuff new or used. Cigarette and Nortech sell more CC's than I/O stuff today and considering they were I/O builders 100% ten years ago the shift has been significant and isn't going back anytime soon.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I believe that particular boat was a dealer/factory reps boat that was sold in 11. Not a boat that had been just sitting around.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
I believe that particular boat was a dealer/factory reps boat that was sold in 11. Not a boat that had been just sitting around.
You are correct it. We had it for sale at a dealership I worked at for awhile and ended up selling it to the current owner.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

This is just observation with no data to back up my opinion but I think that kids today, our next generation that would drive sales, aren't as interested in these types of products, they're more of a tech crew interested in leveraging it for their social interactions as well as daily life activities.

I grew up around and dreamt of 318s, 327s, 340s, 350s, 351s, 383s, 396s (ooh those 396 Chevelle SS's), 426s, 427s, 454s, 440s to mention a few. What do kids have today...little 4popper fart cans?

My 18 year old nephew lost his iPhone on Saturday, you'd think someone cut off his arm, actually I think he'd rather lose his arm than a phone. He's not a sissy boy, tough kid but totally part of the social tech scene. The stuff that turned us on as younger kids just go right past him and his crew. But god forbid he doesn't have his SnapChat so he can get pics of some chick's snatch or whatever.

What does this mean...dunno but the future of these segment of boating will just keep getting smaller and smaller IMO. You tell younger folks that this boat burns 50 gallons an hour and they just look at you like you're from Mars...not the same times for sure.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy

What does this mean...dunno but the future of these segment of boating will just keep getting smaller and smaller IMO. You tell younger folks that this boat burns 50 gallons an hour and they just look at you like you're from Mars...not the same times for sure.
I know a guy that has a pair of Honda jet skis. He told his step sons they can use them whenever they want (they are sitting on floating docks in the backyard with open water right behind the house). The only stipulation is they have to pay for the gas.........the kids never use them! Guy said the kids love them but they think $50 in gas is a waste of money. He laughs and says he gets to play the "good guy" with mom by letting her kids use them and doesn't ever have to worry about the kids wearing out/ breaking the jet skis!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree that today's kids for the most part have zero interest in the mechanical toys we all love. I have had boats, snowmobiles, bikes, and cool cars my whole life and don't ever see it ending but when my 14 year old son (who is an A+ student so I guess I can't complain) doesn't want to go to snowmobile camp because there is no cell reception or internet what does that tell ya.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I don't see used prices going up, seems a lot of these things sit for sell for years. The only ones that are selling new seem to be skater and OL.

Not even sure when the last new MTI was built.

Unless like Jup said, it's a new blinged out 3-4 motor CC. Maybe Pats egg beater go-fast will catch on.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^^ Just a friendly FYI, plenty of MTIs being built and or recently built.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I can tell you of one REALLY clean used boat with all stock power that just sits for sale.

I do agree that most of the younger crowd just doesn't care anymore. I am 33 and even most of my friends and peers my age feel my hobby in boats is stupid and a LARGE waste. The even younger crowd of 20 some odd year olds is even worse and hardly care about driving let alone boating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.