Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tragedy in the Intracoastal in Broward County with a fatality.........hmmmm >

Tragedy in the Intracoastal in Broward County with a fatality.........hmmmm

Notices

Tragedy in the Intracoastal in Broward County with a fatality.........hmmmm

Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Tragedy in the Intracoastal in Broward County with a fatality.........hmmmm

Someone gets a new "Cigarette" boat and suddenly the tragedy occurs? Seems pretty coincidental to me.......

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...617-story.html

water rescues go, this one was as dramatic as they come.

A boater jumped in to save her. Her wounds were given first aid and a breathing mask was clamped over her mouth and nose. She was loaded onto a lifeguard backboard to be taken to the nearest facility where she could get the best care quickly.

But, in the end, the boat propeller strike that Maxine, a 200-pound loggerhead, suffered in the Intracoastal Waters around Pompano Beach proved too grave.

The staff at the Gumbo Limbo Environmental Complex decided to euthanize the turtle, estimated to be about 15 years old, soon after she arrived at the Boca Raton facility Tuesday afternoon.

"Her shell was cut eight times," said Dr. Maria Chadam, the center's veterinarian, theorizing that she was struck by a cigarette boat, which has multiple propellers. "Part of her shell came off and exposed her internal organ cavity."

The turtle was found floating in the waters near the Sands Harbor Marina, 125 N. Riverside Drive. Boaters who found the turtle, a threatened species, struggling for air.

Rescuers had her in the bow of the boat, swaddled in towels, when the lifeguards came.

"She was still conscious and breathing," Pompano Beach Ocean Rescue Lt. Tom O'Neill said. "But you could see she was struggling."

Next, Richard WhiteCloud, founding director of Sea Turtle Oversight Protection, arrived to transport her to Gumbo Limbo.

"It was sad because you could tell she had had a previous injury," he said, theorizing that the turtle was in the Intracoastal Waters recovering, where finding food is less effort than the open ocean.

Still, Maxine's legacy will live on. Whitney Crowder, assistant coordinator at the turtle rehab center at Gumbo Limbo, said she's taking steps so Maxine's broken shell becomes part of a display that shows the devastating effects of speeding boats on the ancient amphibians.

"I hope this gets people's attention," she said.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

Slow day in the news in Miami it sounds.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Yeah Cigarette boat because there is no fishing boats in Florida with multiple propellers. WTF
Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me a f*cking break.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I have a couple:

I hope the props are ok!

Was this written by the guy that wrote the speedboats are for azz holes article?

In all seriousness, sad for the turtle but hardly newsworthy.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

we should all just have paddle boats

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 06-17-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you hear about the big fish that ate the small fish? Something should be done about that as well.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:44 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Very sad that any creature die this way.... but

said Dr. Maria Chadam, the center's veterinarian, theorizing that she was struck by a cigarette boat,

"Theorizing".... really.... by a Veterinarian?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Soup for everyone!!!
Old 06-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are all WAY of base here. It was a Cigar boat. The smell should have given it away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.