Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How long for a mechanic to touch your boat at the shop? >

How long for a mechanic to touch your boat at the shop?

Notices

How long for a mechanic to touch your boat at the shop?

Old 06-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Easily 3-4 weeks around here. Definitely wish we had more options.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Hey guys,

I'm needing a little reality check. I am curious, during a busy season like right now, how long is it reasonable for a boat to sit at a shop without any work being done?
If you give him money.; Then it's time to start something on it. Maybe a day or 2. Unless he is busy, then he has to give you some Idea. Otherwise he may jus not want to work on it
Old 06-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Fastest service: Hideaway Marina- Joe Pasuit. OSO member blew an XR during a poker run. Got the boat to Hideaway and they swapped the drive and he rejoined the poker run!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I think using Florida with year round boating isn't fair.

Up north you can't keep the same number of techs as winter gets very slow. Plus not sure but I would bet we have more shops down here.

No data to back any of this up by hey its the Internet so just because I post it means it must be true,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at least if I post it enough.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Fastest service: Hideaway Marina- Joe Pasuit. OSO member blew an XR during a poker run. Got the boat to Hideaway and they swapped the drive and he rejoined the poker run!
I know his son Joey, works at brand x, great guy
Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring them some Beer & Pizza. If your boat isn't in the shop say OOPS sorry I thought you were working on my boat.
Take the beer and pizza and leave.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3 weeks. Most folks have work that needs to be done at the end of the year, some major, some minor. These folks don't get the work done over the winter when A. its much more convenient for them, B. it's typically less expensive for them, C. The mechanic is able to stay busy and draw a salary over the winter and D.It gets done competently because there is no rush to get it done in the span of a miracle. Should I mention again that the work being done over the winter is generally less expensive to the customer? But no, boat owners wait until the last second and mob the shops in May causing a backlog of work. Then they have the gall to get mad that we can't get their boat back on the water in two days. I Just get tired of it, same **** every year. Oh one more thing, if i fast-track someone because somehow they've convinced me that they need back on the water faster than everyone else then they should at least make it worth my while. Most boat owners I deal with are decent folk but I think I get a disproprtionate number of douchbags too.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:56 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

And what backs up shops in the marine industry this time of year is 50 to 100 calls per day of price shoppers who by the stroke of luck think a true marine shop is going to have all the parts they need cheaper than EBAY. 8 out out 10 calls are a huge waste of time and tie me up 50 % of my day. So in return makes me 50 % of time further behind. And the rest of the calls and or texts are from I have no idea why your even own a boat nor how they made this far in life.

RING RING - HELLO - I need a starter -

OK for what ?

My boat

OK I figured that

It wont turn over

OK for what application

Its for my Sea Ray

OK for what motor application

I don t know

OK inboard or Outboard

Its black

OK sorry I have to go now so when you figure out what you have call me back if your want to. Jeepers.

Last edited by BUP; 06-28-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say about 4 weeks is about right. I try to get my stuff done in the winter depending on the size of the job. When I had all my big motor work done I dropped it off in October and sead work on it when you can but just have it done by March. I'm not a big fan of rushing the guys working on something that expensive.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't forget, it also depends on what kind of work you need done. With our marina, if you wanted something relatively minor that we have parts in stock for, you might wait a week or less. That would be because we might be able to slip it into a crack in the (very busy) schedule. Need something more major like pulling an engine for work? That's going to get you into several weeks just to get to it and longer to get it back.

I should also add that up here in the great white north, the spring rush is over and our lead times are coming down as we work off the backlog. The middle of the summer is actually the slowest time for us and thus the best / fastest time for you. Then about mid-September, things get stupid again as the schedule fills up with haul outs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.