Looking for the Best Switchable Exhaust Tips >

Looking for the Best Switchable Exhaust Tips

Notices

Looking for the Best Switchable Exhaust Tips

Old 07-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the Best Switchable Exhaust Tips

I have seen some older threads on this topic but was wondering if anyone had any more current information on switchable exhaust tips? I need to get the ones that don't require the Y Pipe. I see that Teague makes them. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do they quiet the boat down enough to even make it worth it?

TC G
Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Electric solenoids burn out or air cylinders leak, take your pick.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would take electric over air any day.
I have the Teague's' and love them!!
Installed them back in 03 I think.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Registered

Teague on mine. No complaints
Old 07-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Teague on mine since 2001, no burnt solenoids. The key is adjusting the solenoid so that at full open and full close, theres still a little bit of slack in the flapper (i.e. you can wiggle it). Reason being, if the solenoid isn't fully extended or retracted, it builds up a lot of heat and kills it. Setup is the key.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Registered

Do they quiet the boat down much? I had silent choice on my last boat and they were great. Loud when you wanted to be and quiet when you didn't. I wish Teague would put a video together for his website or You Tube to show the difference. For those of you that have the Teague's, is there a big difference in noise levels?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Registered

Theres pretty substantial difference in sound. It won't be as much as a quick and quiet system where the exhaust goes out the prop obviously. I haven't held a decibel reader up to it, but its a big change. They're only for use at idle though, you can't drive around with the exhaust closed, too much backpressure.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Theres pretty substantial difference in sound. It won't be as much as a quick and quiet system where the exhaust goes out the prop obviously. I haven't held a decibel reader up to it, but its a big change. They're only for use at idle though, you can't drive around with the exhaust closed, too much backpressure.

Thanks ToMorrow

That's what I was looking for. I just want to shut them down if I'm idling and having a little cruise. Otherwise I like it open and loud.

TC G
Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
I'm pretty sure that Teague says they are OK up to 3500 rpm, which is an OK clip for most boats. I used to cruise around all the time with them closed no problem. They are pretty quiet when closed, just a little louder than silent choice.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I'm pretty sure that Teague says they are OK up to 3500 rpm, which is an OK clip for most boats. I used to cruise around all the time with them closed no problem. They are pretty quiet when closed, just a little louder than silent choice.
Yep 3500 is right. But I don't think theres too many boats that get on plane without exceeding 3500. I guess if you were already on plane below 3500 then you could switch them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.