Hull design, anyone have any input >

Hull design, anyone have any input

Notices

Hull design, anyone have any input

Old 07-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Hull design, anyone have any input

Long story short I built a I/O pontoon a few yrs back(http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/r...oon-build.html) thought I would be happy with a 140hp and 27mph, but like anything I cant leave well enought alone and have been aquiring parts to back it better.

I should have "enough" horsepower now. Just got the LS1 off the dyno and made a little over 400hp and picked up a bravo drive to handle the HP.

Now onto center toon design. Looking for something that will plane better, after looking at all the other manufactures I came up with this.

I'm wondering if I should change the back "current" portion to have a flat bottom or leave it and it might act like a step, like the preformance v-hulls have. Thoughts?

This is what the current boat has, the issue I have is the back of the boat planes quicker then the fron thus driving the front of the boat down.

Thoughts????
Wondering if I shouldnt lower the 12" Pad to closer to the bottom of the outer toons. Less drag that way??
Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

If you don't get an acceptable reply here, try posting your question at :

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/

Please keep this thread updated as I'm very interested in your design and to see this get built.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its hard to judge your engine box height vs the pontoon toon inner strake height. I would think that a 12" pad and two pontoons would ride terrible. Have you thought about extending your current engine box design to the front to get rid of the stern lift? also adding lift strakes on that center hull that are at the same height as the pontoon inner strakes would probably work well. you can stop the strakes short of stern to balance lift. (or play around with tunnel compression to add lift)
Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

looks like your X dim is awfully deep as well. I agree on the lifting strakes as well, seems like all the fast toons have 'em. You can buy them in pretty big lengths, a buddy of mine (lightning jet on here) just glued them on with some sort of DevCon and they have been there for three years
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Registered

It currently has lifting strakes did those the 1st yr I built it. They are yellow in the picture. They helped but I think I'm right on the HP limit (140hp) of them working. The LS should help that.

The bottom of the V is the same plane as the bottom of the strakes which is about 5" to the bottom of the toons. I think my X dimension is to low but I have heard pontoons like a deeper X because the have "dirty" water, lots of turbulence that screws up the prop.

That's why I'm thinking when I add the complete center toon (grey) part with a 12" pad along with lifting strakes and possible more lifting strakes on the outside of the outside toons I think I will be good.

I'm just a little worried about the current motor pod not having the 12" pad. If that will screw up anything. I'm taking the entire boat apart and flipping it over so I only want todo this once. Lol
Old 07-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was saying add strakes to the center pod if you kept the v profile to the front
Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered

Ok, so your thinking not have the 12" bottom at all and just run the V with strakes?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I wish I had something to add to the conversation to help you in your quest. I just want others who haven't seen your build thread to check it out! You sir are a craftsman in the truest sense of the word. I commend you on your talent and ability. Subscribed!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered

Thanks, sometime I wish I had the more money then brains part, but I dont so I'm left to figure out how todo things with what I have. Usally my own two hands and alot or research and a little luck.

I'll keep everyone posted, the "boat" isnt getting torn down till after labor day but then it will be balls to the walls to hopefully have it on the water before Ice is in otherwise it will be spring.

Thanks
MIke
Old 07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not having any engineering input, but if anyone could put you in touch with the toon or toons running around 100 mph at LOTO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.