Carpet Bunk adn ON/Off Cleaner

Notices

Carpet Bunk adn ON/Off Cleaner

Old 07-14-2015, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Carpet Bunk adn ON/Off Cleaner

Well the good news is the on/off Cleaned the Hull Great

BAD NEWS; It Melted my carpet bunk What type of Carpet material should I use to replace it with
Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've bought bunk carpet from Boat Carpet Central. Good quality and they also sell the spray on adhesive.

As for the On/Off. I've found that the best way to use it is to wear gloves, put a little bit in a small bucket and apply it with a small rag. works just the same and doesnt drip everywhere. Then just rinse it all off.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

From an old thread:

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do a search, this has been discussed before.

Couple tips:

It's easier to replace the wood than to remove all the old carpet and staples.
Use indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive (Lowes/HomeDepot) on the face of the 2x6 boards and on the wood surfaces that face the boat; just to keep the carpet from bunching and tearing. Not so much to soak the carpet, just enough to hold it steady.

I don't care for the electric staple guns. They don't have enough power to shoot the large staples all the way into the wood. I had to go back and tap them all down with a hammer.

I recommend using a Hammer Tacker like this one:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521633[/ATTACH]
You will get to a point where you can swing the Hammer Tacker at the wood at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the wood, and the swing will pull the carpet taught as the staple holds it there. It works MUCH better than the electric gun.

If you have so thick of carpet at the edges when you wrap over a couple layers, put a couple of 1" long #4 or #6 SS screws though the layers to fasten them down. Obviously, don't do this anywhere near where the boat touches.

I've used both stainless & Monel staples before with fine results.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying it's the best thing to use. But I go to the bargain barn and buy regular ole carpet. It lasts just as long maybe longer than the over priced advertised bunk carpets. I also found over the years use treated lumber and router or sand down the corners of the boards before you cover them it helps stop the tearing that happens over time. My biggest issue now are Staples. I need to find stainless steel staples. They rust out before the carpet goes bad. And I don't cover the whole board. Just the top and over the sides. That way the boards can dry out faster.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fordf350
I'm not saying it's the best thing to use. But I go to the bargain barn and buy regular ole carpet. It lasts just as long maybe longer than the over priced advertised bunk carpets. I also found over the years use treated lumber and router or sand down the corners of the boards before you cover them it helps stop the tearing that happens over time. My biggest issue now are Staples. I need to find stainless steel staples. They rust out before the carpet goes bad. And I don't cover the whole board. Just the top and over the sides. That way the boards can dry out faster.
Lowes has stainless staples, also Menards if they are in your state