Mercury Releases In-House Designed and Built 300- and 350-hp Stern Drives >

Mercury Releases In-House Designed and Built 300- and 350-hp Stern Drives

Notices

Mercury Releases In-House Designed and Built 300- and 350-hp Stern Drives

Old 07-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
The MerCruiser 350 Mag engine replacement has arrived., http://speedonthewater.com/new-boats...p-stern-drives

I had the old 6.2's in my Sunsation. They were great for 250 hours (burned a couple IAC sensors) and the guardian system sometimes was more annoying than helpful. I then had one ingest water, Mercury extended warranty came into play. In the next 70 hours I had replaced the motors 6 times under warranty. 2 of the new motors (blocks replaced, accessories transferred) I never even got to turn the keys on as the mechanic smoked them. For what Mercury spent in warranty work, they could have sent me two new complete motors for way less money!

They were 320 HP back in 2004 so to only get 350 HP now seems light.

I think I would go the Active Thunder route now.....pair of 300 or 350 OB's with lots of warranty!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me like this is another method for merc to control more of the market but why aren't they embarrassed to announce a 6.2 with 300-350 hp when indmar already offer 400-450 without superchargers?
Old 07-22-2015, 05:33 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Most small I/O boat owners don't give a rats azz about 300hp or more. Believe it. And they buy more boats than any one else..

But we are performance guys, so we care. LOL.

Last edited by SB; 07-22-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Yes this is misleading and not really exciting.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Yes this is misleading and not really exciting.
I would have to gently disagree and say this story isn't "misleading" in any way. This story was based, as sourced throughout, on a press release from Mercury Marine and the 6.2 is, in fact, the replacement for the 350 Magnum. However derivative this new Mercury Marine product may or may not be (for as compelling as the cases made here are the Mercury product managers telling a different story are equally compelling, and I'll leave to whoever wants to debate them ... to debate them ... they're not hard to reach by phone) it is, in fact, fabricated in house now and, derivative or not, they are calling in their own design. This is a road you can go down with so many marine products, catamarans and stepped V-bottoms come to mind, almost without end.

Whether or not the news is "exciting" is ... really up to the news itself. Love it, hate it, think it is total nonsense, the 6.2 is the replacement for a popular engine that existed for a long time in the MerCruiser line. From my perspective, that's the essence of the news.

As for who "gives a crap about what," all I can say is that as journalist/publisher I have to remind myself every day to be careful about making that judgment. We'll publish what we think is a story of limited interest and—boom—it sends the visits and page views off the charts. What interests me is far less important than what interests you, but what I have learned, and keep learning everyday, is to try to appeal to a broad spectrum of the go-fast boating world—but stay generally within that spectrum.

Not selling, just reporting. That said, I appreciate all the comments made here. Smart discerning group with sensitive B.S. meter, but I already knew that.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 07-23-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I would have to gently disagree and say this story isn't "misleading" in any way. This story was based, as sourced throughout, on a press release from Mercury Marine and the 6.2 is, in fact, the replacement for the 350 Magnum. However derivative this new Mercury Marine product may or may not be (for as compelling as the cases made here are the Mercury product managers telling a different story are equally compelling, and I'll leave to whoever wants to debate them ... to debate them ... they're not hard to reach by phone) it is, in fact, fabricated in house now and, derivative or not, they are calling in their own design. This is a road you can go down with so many marine products, catamarans and stepped V-bottoms come to mind, almost without end.

Whether or not the news is "exciting" is ... really up to the news itself. Love it, hate it, think it is total nonsense, the 6.2 is the replacement for a popular engine that existed for a long time in the MerCruiser line. From my perspective, that's the essence of the news.

As for who "gives a crap about what," all I can say is that as journalist/publisher I have to remind myself every day to be careful about making that judgment. We'll publish what we think is a story of limited interest and—boom—it sends the visits and page views off the charts. What interests me is far less important than what interests you, but what I have learned, and keep learning everyday, is to try to appeal to a broad spectrum of the go-fast boating world—but stay generally within that spectrum.

Not selling, just reporting. That said, I appreciate all the comments made here. Smart discerning group with sensitive B.S. meter, but I already knew that.
Matt I don't think the comment was meant to suggest that your article was misleading just the press release from Mercury. Its clear that you report the news and don't get into taking sides which is rare in today's media.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:00 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Matt I don't think the comment was meant to suggest that your article was misleading just the press release from Mercury. Its clear that you report the news and don't get into taking sides which is rare in today's media.
x 2.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Yes this. No offense to you Matt. Merc is embellishing a bit imo by calling a SBC first released in 1955 their own design just because they didn't use any GM parts of however they are justifying the claim.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Yes this. No offense to you Matt. Merc is embellishing a bit imo by calling a SBC first released in 1955 their own design just because they didn't use any GM parts of however they are justifying the claim.
Much appreciated, gentlemen. I apologize if I came off as defensive. That wasn't my intention, but that was how I came off based on what I wrote. (If I don't achieve what intend through what I write, the failure is mine as a writer.) I appreciate your point of view and feedback. I learn something every time here.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When you buy a Ford you get a Ford design and take it to a Ford dealership, Same goes for Honda and Mercedes. Love it or Hate it....The business model directs the customer to a Merc certified facility for the life of the product. The strategy is same as the QC4V program. Create a platform that utilizes enough unique parts that repair and replacement must occur through the dealer network/factory. Once you are in..you have no other choice. Keep all of the money "in network" longer, set pricing with no competition forces. Until someone has the initiative to recreate the "unique " parts you must utilize the OEM products. The mousetrap works because there is a quantifiable "value add" on resale/reliability/repair with a big name manufacturer on the drivetrain Yamaha, Merc,Cat, Yan etc...

Custom guys are different they want what they want .. but that market is very small. can't imagine why they didn't follow the twin cam set up on their "complete redesign"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.