Notices

Props turn in or out?

Old 09-13-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props turn in or out?

Does anyone have experience with turning props inwards or outwards on a 36" Baja running Speedmaster drives?
Old 09-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Registered

I wanted to post on this same subject as well, I have bravo's though so I can run them either way. I belive with speedmaster 's you need to switch the drives from one side to the other. I have tried mine both ways, and I have a had alot of different props on the boat, and I always try yhem both ways when testing. With the set on there now, I had run them spinning out all summer and never tried them spinning in until last weekend. Spinning them in last weekend, the boat had a totally different feel, it picked the nose up more, and was alot more fun to drive due to the increased natural trim of the inward rotation of the prop. I have always thought spinning in would increase stern lift, not bow lift, but every hull reacts differently. In my case, my hull likes it, without sacrificing stability. Others hulls may not like and it may decrease the stability of the boat. The only way to really find out is to try it and see how you like it, or, as you are trying to find out, talk to someone that has done this with your hull, but still x-dim differences, prop, gearing, ect, all will make a difference. My friend has ssm3a's on his 35 cigarette, he, in neglegence, put the props on the wrong sides one day, and had already launched and parked the truck on a day that the launch was slammed, so he decided to go out, and run only to another friends that is within a 1/2 mile of the launch and switch them there. His mistake was getting up on plane, which smoked 1 trans, and seroiusly hurt the other during that half mile trip, so there the case for not trying to just switch props like a bravo can. Try it out, and let us know what you find.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 09-13-2002 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Registered

Thanks for the information. With the Speedmaster set-up you do need to switch the drives. I am currently scheduling my repairman to do this job. I will update you upon completion of the project.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Just take it easy till you get a feel for how the boat responds to it, I've been in a few boat's that got squirrely when this was done. The bad part is that if the boat doesn't like it, you gotta pay the guy againg to put it right back where you started. Hold off on it a few and see what other responces come in.