Notices

Richmond Radar Run

Old 09-21-2002, 11:37 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cignificant
1784, come up I85. Merge on to I95 North in Petersburg. Take the Rt10 east exit (about 5-6 miles after getting on I95). If you're coming in Friday, there are a few motels at this exit, like a Holiday Inn (Hooters is their restaurant). To get to the ramp, go east on Rt10 to I295. Go north on I295. Go over the James River (beautiful suspension bridge). Next exit is Rt 5. The rest of the directions are on the mapquest.

Call me if you have any questions 804-564-5314
Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the good directions. Is it best seen from the water and can you watch from land? Would rather leave the boat at home this trip if possible.

Got to come up and see Barry "Kick Some Ass".

He Ain't Skeered!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
Old 09-21-2002, 11:56 AM
bobby daniels

Thumbs down

BARRY SHOULD BE REAL SKEERED HE WON'T BE WITHIN 10 MPH OF NO FEAR
BUT I SOME NOT SAY ANYMORE AS I LIKE DOCK WILL BE WATCHING ONLY

Old 09-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Sec Agent Man

Angry

Sorry fellas, won't be participating in the Richmond Radar Run this time round, blower is broken, won't get back in time. HOWEVER, if someone would like to loan out theirblower for a good cause, I'd be much obliged.

So, I guess Barry and his supersonic banana boat will have to do us eliminator owners proud!

AND YES!!! I'd like some cheese and crackers to go with my wine!

SAM

Old 09-22-2002, 07:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dock, the area where they usually run doesn't really have anywhere to watch from the shore.

Sonny. you had your boat at Smith Mountain lake in May, right? Beautiful boat!!
Old 09-22-2002, 11:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

S.A.M.
Sorry to hear about the blower. I know you have to be disappointed. Let me know if you want to go down anyhow. We can all make room. I look forward to the run!
Old 09-23-2002, 01:55 PM
bobby daniels

SAM WHAT TYPE BLOWER DO YOU HAVE ?? OR NEED ?

Old 09-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the radar run is getting closer. Who all is planning on attending ? Also list what type of boat you have and the power in it . Lets hope the weather is good for us this year .

32 SKATER w/twin 750's " How Sweet it is "

And possibly

36 SKATER w/twin 1000's " Tom Cat "
Old 09-25-2002, 07:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

From the Richmond area we have the usual assortment of v-hulls (sorry, I'm not going to disclose their engines): Velocity, Fountains, Cigs, Hustler, Checkmate, Baja, Active Thunder, Formula, etc. A couple of Talon cats. Maybe an American Offshore.

And if things work out, my son will launch the fastest homebuilt boat in central Virginia - the one of a kind "Tuffy". Shown here before the gelcoat was applied.

BTW - if this is postponed due to rain I will post a message in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Richmond Radar Run-tuffy-sm.jpg  
Old 09-25-2002, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

What is the James River like where this will be held? We were thinking of trailing down early Friday morning and exploring all day, then sleeping on the boat and spectating on Saturday. Are there things to see? Places to go? Places to eat and have a drink? How far to the Chesapeake? What time does the radar run start? How does the radar run work?

First time to the James and to a radar run....can you tell?
Thanks
Old 09-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shah Mat, I'll try to answer all your questions.

1) The area that the shoot is held is long and narrow. Here is a link to a map of the area. In case it doesn't work, the coordinates are Lat 37.23.12 n Lon 77.18.00 w

Maptech

By necessity it is near the launch ramp - a lot of people burn racing fuel for this event.

2) There's not much to see or do (hey, I'm being honest here) in this part of the James. You can cruise up river all the way to downtown Richmond, but there's nowhere to dock or stop. You can cruise down river and eventually end up at the Chesapeake Bay (about 90 miles). You'll pass Jamestown and a few other stops along the way. It's a beautiful ride if you want to burn some fuel.

3) Overnighting is not a problem. If the link above works, look for the word "Jones". Thats a secluded cove tht you can anchor in. At the bottom of the map is another cove we call "the gravel pits" that is surrounded by beaches - you can anchor, pull up on the beach, or tent camp.

4) The only place to eat on-the-water is the Rivahole Grill at the boat ramp. It's small and only serves burgers/sandwiches. If you cruise towards the Bay there are a couple of good places to stop.

5) The radar shoot is "informal" - it's not sponsored by anyone. Just bring your boat and run it if you want to. Or you can anchor on the side and watch. I'll post some pictures. Here's the ramp area...
Attached Thumbnails Richmond Radar Run-radra0111.jpg  

Quick Reply: Richmond Radar Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.