Like Tree0Likes

Who's going to the Around the Island Run?

Old 09-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

We had a great time, but when we lost sight of everyone, we were lost as to where to go. That coupled with the fact that all three of our necks were hurting,we trailered it. I emailed you Keith. It was a fun run, but I would have liked a bit more organization. It was not for the 'unfamiliar with the area' folks.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC

You know, that never ocurred to me! I guess we should have had an alternate set of questions or some guides for hire Sorry you had trouble Brian, would have been happy to help you out If we do it next year maybe we can put GPS coordinates next to each question-or at least for the bar
Old 09-22-2002, 10:50 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

My Boats: Formula 370 Super Sport

Brian,

Got your note, and just finished sending you 7 pics, 6 of which are simply awesome. Sent to the other email address. Glad you're okay, I'm relieved.

I don't know what speed Harry was doing in the Top Gun (guessing it had to be damned near 70), but watching your Sonic handle the water at that same speed was a thing of beauty.

I don't think the "unfamiliar factor" would have been an issue had I been in my own boat. I pay attention to that sort of thing, and would have had no problem hangin' with you and Velocity_Mike among others to show you guys around. I do that in the poker runs for the new people, but the downside is you'd have to get used to running only 50MPH in that slop.

Keep in touch over the winter Brian, try to even make it up for meeting one of these months, I'll buy ya a cold one and toast that run!! Enjoy the pics.

Keith

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 09-23-2002, 12:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks for your concern guys. W were fine in the 3-4 footers, with occasional 5s. When it went to consistant 5s+, we were actually handling them quite well, boat/ride wise, but the necks started to hurt. My baby sister is a Pilot for USAir for her livelyhood, and the last thing I wanted to do was hurt her. If it had just been me, I probably would have just kept going. We never got wet, not ONCE!

The day was not a loss. I took the boat to National Airport, and went to dinner with friends in Old Towne, Alexandria, as well as went to Georgetown, DC for a few hours to relax with prime dock space. I even got into a conversation with someone who offered me a job. Only problem was, in 30 minutes, I got hit TWICE, in Georgetown. I tell you, you really have to be on your toes there. Some couple of hoodlums in a beat up 16 foot outboard Bayliner were cruising slowly only about 2 feet off of the starboards of all the boats. When he passed me, he cut left hard, and swung is outboard into my rubrail. No damage; I SCREAMED at him, and he never turned around. I was tempted to throw something, but did not want to start a riot. Not more than 20 minutes later, the big, 40 foot cruiser docked right behind me, decided to pull out. He had PLENTY of room, had he known how do drive. As he pulled out, he continued to accelerate, and did not countersteer his stern off of my stern. I saw what was happeneing, and peformed diving kick at his stern to fend him off. I think all I did was bounce off as he graised my rubrail. It could have been much worse. I tell you, there are a bunch of FOOLS up in that area.

Anyhow, I look forward to my next trip to the Bay. 10 knot winds and 2-3s on the radio, MY ASS!!
Old 09-23-2002, 12:33 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

My Boats: Formula 370 Super Sport

Well I'm counting on the full tour when I come down there next season. Here's one I cropped for ya, the full shot has the majestic bay bridge in the drop. Even in Harry's Top Gun, it was a major job to hang on.
Attached Thumbnails
Who's going to the Around the Island Run?-air-sydwayz.jpg  

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 09-23-2002, 01:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Keith, THANKS FOR THE PICS. They turned out awesome!!
Old 09-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Irish Mist

SYDWAYZ.

It was great to see you on the bay. You held up the ranks on the Potomac River Run making sure I wasnít the only Sonic there. I do have several questions.

First in looking at Keithís pics of your boatÖ. Was you sister at the controls? SYDWAYS looked as if she was cleared for take off.

Second Sore Necks? Ok we know all about red necks (Jim Foxworthy told us how to determine if you are one) chicken neckers (an eastern shore term referring to us western Shore types), but sore necks???

Third not knowing the area? Having had the opportunity to navigate for the Maryland Offshore Performance Race Team, being a some what local, this event was a learning event for me too. I still donít know WTH Rum & Coke is or how many damn lights are there, nor do I care. I can tell you the price of a Rum & Coke at every know bar in the Narrows. The purpose of this event was to test navigation skills rather than running in a pack as we all tend to do on Poker Runs. For an event that was put together in just a weeks time I think by what I saw and have read everyone had a great time. Iím still trying to figure out what a racer knows about counting lights poles. A sailbote racer (I know oxymoron) might be able to, but Kenny Stafford may have been powered by Atomic 4ís he surely wasnít going 12 knots flat out.

Now that you are a CBPBA member we look forward to seeing you at a General Membership meeting. You should join us at the Sonic table. (That would be bar side)

Old 09-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Mach1 290
Default Re: Who's going to the Around the Island Run?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelley
Mach1Shorty!! You coming for this one??
Wished I could have dude! Sounded like a good time!