Notices

Ed Crippen - BoaterEd

Old 09-16-2002, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another one..........totally useless site to me...........

Original Post

Dear BOATERS,

Looks like this website has a lot of potential. Interesting to see that there is a little animosity towards Go Fast Boat operators.

I personally have been blessed a great deal with my go fast boat lifestyle and certainly would not want to discourage anyone that goes fast or slower.

What I have noticed over the years is that most boat operators are interested in enhancing the performance of their craft in some way. Often the gains can result in a more efficient ride, better fuel consumption or just a safer boat to operate etc.

Often people can be attracted to our performance craft, because of fancy graphics, big motors etc., and ask many question. Regardless of the boat type people own,…people will often ask…,”how can I make my boat go faster or make it safer”. I surely could not frown on that person due to the watercraft they possess or the speed it goes. I find it an honor to help someone like this out. Many boaters have a ton to learn from the Go Fast Boater…and most has to due with just safety…trust me you have to have your wits about you when operating a 100 mph craft and your surely need to be physical fit and not chemically induced.

Certainly fast boaters have gotten a bad boy image over the years…but I can assure that there are a major number of go faster boaters that have enhanced the public image and take what we do with a leading edge of safety and responsibility.

My group promotes it its safe boating causes by putting on Poker Runs. We have been doing it for 10 years and some of our runs have attracted as many as 70 boats some as small as 13’ and others as large as 43 feet. Some that are capable of 50 miles and hour and others 130.

We put on these events in highly visible areas and attract a lot of attention. Most times we also provide a community service by raising monies for local charities. Nothing finer then presenting that check to a “Wish Kid” after a great day on the water. This is were the real blessings come from…when we share our fortunes with those that are less fortunate…I am sure that’s what God would want! So the community also benefits form our fast boat activity.

I would encourage you all to check out some fast boat websites that are dedicated to and promoting Safe Boating…weather you go fast or slower…safety on the water is the same.

www.screamandfly.com
www.stvowners.com
www.pbcc.ca

to name just a few.

Anyway…I would like to be part of this website too because I think I can assist with its motto “Dedicated to boater education and Training”

This Post only scratches the surface of what me and a bunch my pals do

THANKS for reading

Sincerly,

AnthonySS
www.stvowners.com
www.pbcc.ca

============================

Post Now

Dear BOATERS,

Looks like this website has a lot of potential. Interesting to see that there is a little animosity towards Go Fast Boat operators.

I personally have been blessed a great deal with my go fast boat lifestyle and certainly would not want to discourage anyone that goes fast or slower.

What I have noticed over the years is that most boat operators are interested in enhancing the performance of their craft in some way. Often the gains can result in a more efficient ride, better fuel consumption or just a safer boat to operate etc.

Often people can be attracted to our performance craft, because of fancy graphics, big motors etc., and ask many question. Regardless of the boat type people own,…people will often ask…,”how can I make my boat go faster or make it safer”. I surely could not frown on that person due to the watercraft they possess or the speed it goes. I find it an honor to help someone like this out. Many boaters have a ton to learn from the Go Fast Boater…and most has to due with just safety…trust me you have to have your wits about you when operating a 100 mph craft and your surely need to be physical fit and not chemically induced.

Certainly fast boaters have gotten a bad boy image over the years…but I can assure that there are a major number of go faster boaters that have enhanced the public image and take what we do with a leading edge of safety and responsibility.

My group promotes it its safe boating causes by putting on Poker Runs. We have been doing it for 10 years and some of our runs have attracted as many as 70 boats some as small as 13’ and others as large as 43 feet. Some that are capable of 50 miles and hour and others 130.

We put on these events in highly visible areas and attract a lot of attention. Most times we also provide a community service by raising monies for local charities. Nothing finer then presenting that check to a “Wish Kid” after a great day on the water. This is were the real blessings come from…when we share our fortunes with those that are less fortunate…I am sure that’s what God would want! So the community also benefits form our fast boat activity.

Anyway…I would like to be part of this website too because I think I can assist with its motto “Dedicated to boater education and Training”

This Post only scratches the surface of what me and a bunch my pals do

THANKS for reading

Sincerly,

AnthonySS

=======================

Why would a site that is supposed to be about boat education and safety wipe out links to other sites that would help someone or promote that?
Old 09-16-2002, 08:27 PM
Registered

It seems that Les Hall is monitoring this thread, and I think that's great. I would more than welcome him here on OSO and discuss various issues. It is very easy to comment on how posts are edited and deleted on www.BoaterEd.com . It just doesn't make sense (to me). Since we can't discuss it on www.BoaterEd.com without opinions being.........uh.....modified? Perhaps we can discuss it here Les?

Believe me, this thread is not to be cute or entertaining, but to be informative as to the methods and actions that I've seen on your Boating Education and Safety forum. I do post numerous thread with that in mind, but this is not one of them. It just doesn't make sense to omit links that might help a person, especially with regards to boating safety. No single web site can deliver all the information available about boating. OSO realizes this, as well as most other sites. Perhaps there is some “bad blood” between BoaterEd and OSO that I’m not aware of.

Happy and Safe Boating!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:50 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Too Old
I've already had my post censored by ol' Les for using the term "pompous ass". It was my response to one of the Hamptons crowd that refered to the Carolinas as a "whitebread and grease society". Imagine that.

Fred..............what are you saying? It's not?
Old 09-17-2002, 05:53 AM
Registered

I agree with you........
But this statement.......the days not over. Things change here and not always for the best, but it all we have to deal with

I'm very happy that OSO has never taken this stance. It would render the site useless after awhile.
It has taken a stance......whether or not it is for the good or for the bad.
remember 2 years ago when the new format started....it started with a big bang and then had to tappered down to what it is today
No doubt alot better than Boater Ed
Old 09-17-2002, 06:57 AM
Registered

Let me first say that I have not been to the boaters ed site and dont have first hand knowledge on the happenings there.

BUT I do know that this site (among others) does censors posts and makes it impossible to link to certain other boating sites. I also know that there have been people banned from this site for promoting their own boating related site (whether its in direct competition with OSO or not).

Hey, It's not my board and I dont have a ton of money wrapped up into OSO like Jeffrey and his partners so I am not going to complain on what they do with it. BUT censoring does happen here and it's not uncommon on the BB of the www.

Remember, if they leave up the links to other sites, the hits and the possible revenue leave as well. Its all about keeping your members at your site!!

Just my .02

Last edited by Red Stripe; 09-17-2002 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:05 AM
jr

Nort, I have been a member of BoaterEd for probably 3 years over there I'm Jeff member #75. There are a couple of rules that are pretty much set in stone. There is absolutely no advertising of websites. Reason being is that the forum hosts, are the ones footing the bill for the site and they don't want to load up with outside advertisers. The second rule is no profanity because it is a family site. And third absolutely no personal attacks.

Over here things are lighter. I think maybe that maybe its because the way we view boating is more fun than viewing it as a never ending Ernest Hemmingway novel. We're more social. And in my eyes more experienced. There are more techinical questions here than, "If I see a red buoy what does it mean, questions". Regardless, its their site.

Now I don't condone any personal attacks, but I do value spirited discussions in an adult manner. Reading a couple threads I think OSO members were justified in their responses. What I don't like is the attitude "well your a new member, sit down and shut up and learn to be PC". BULL****!! opps sorry, profanity I wish the threads could have gotten past the, all boats that go over 35 MPH are bad is BS, and gotten to the why we do and why they do what we do.

Your post tried to do that. I hope it got through to a few. Remember there are knuckle heads everywhere.

Last edited by jr; 09-17-2002 at 07:36 AM.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:06 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yes you are correct red. By limiting links to your competitors you can keep the traffic on your site. However, OSO won't enter my post and edit it. $10 says that these links will never leave or get blocked. And my hat is off to OSO for having such a strong chin.

www.screamandfly.com
www.hotboat.net
www.boatered.com
Old 09-17-2002, 09:25 AM
jr

Cord, your right about OSO. Some just have stronger chins than others. But you have to admit, OSO is not a G rated site which BoaterEd is after. Or even PG13 sometimes. But thats fine with me. You do get alittle tired after awhile listening to the same question about the same stock engine/drive. But they do help alot of first time boaters. Hell, opps profanity again, they gave me a lot of info because I was new to I/O's. GVP gave me alot of help figuring out just what bastardized kind of set up I had.

They just are little too tight for me. They have their direction, and we have ours.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Registered

Jeff, the last straw for me was when I saw Les purposely offend a group of boaters, who according to him need the most education, yet he drives them away from an education site--how ironic is that? He purposely wrote offensive things about "go-fast boats" under the guise of "humor". Then he became defensive and as much said, what's the matter, can't you take a joke?

No, I can't take his type of humor anymore. I choose not to be associated with people who feel they can get laughs and gain a following by degrading others. And he does have quite a following. They're all going slow, but they're following him (my weak attempt at humor...).

As I said in my post over there, I'll look at GVP's forum and Peggy's--they have a lot of useful information--but I'm not getting sucked into Les' cesspool again.

Peace
Christine
Old 09-17-2002, 12:20 PM
jr

I feel for you Christine. I've been considering having Les remove my ID. Not out of protest but for not wanting to be associated with that type of behavior. I did feel offended and pissed that many of the people that I had in the past given good faith help to and information so quickly turned to exert superiority over a minority that they feel as being inferior to themselves.

Perhaps playing cop on a site that tight after awhile tends to put your personal feelings above what you originally set out to accomplish. And that was to educate. Well education also is supposed to teach tolerance and understanding.

I personaly feel that our group as a whole has better skills, manners, and knowledge. Owning a 250,000 dollar Skater makes you alittle more concerned about your equipment than a $2,500 POS. I have had to fend off more POS boats because of lack of experience. But not 1 sport boat.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. Are you and Bill going to be out this weekend. I'm going to try Saturday or Sunday.