long....questions on going to bigger boat

Notices

long....questions on going to bigger boat

Old 09-13-2002, 11:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question long....questions on going to bigger boat

Seriously thinking of selling the 27' Fountain. Wanting to get in the 32' area for the fact that we stay on the boat on weekends, so the up front ameneties are the strong points. My preferances are Formula, Fountain, possibly Powerquest. And yes, I know there are others. We trailer every weekend, but are planning to slip next year to see how we like it, with the several times of need to trailor. I have a Ford SD250 w/ V-8. Not wanting to upgrade truck for a couple of years at this time. Is trailoring a 32' every weekend much different than my 27'? How about my truck?
I'm thinking of twin 415hp 502's just for reliability for power. Can I expect a higher fuel consumption over my curent single gas hungry blower motor? My current boat fits under my standard 7' tall garage door. If I remodeling to the 8' tall doors, I can possibly go with a 32' Fountain. I don't think the Formulas will fit though???? The garage issue is a major hurdle. Hate the thought of having a 48' foot deep garage and then have to pay to store elsewhere. In all reality, this may be the deciding factor.

Any other thoughts from someone that has made the same step up and in the same conditions as I that would be of help?

As far as my boat. Not sure if when I do decide to put it on the market, would I be better off removing the blower and putting all back to stock? I think it would be hard to sell a 'performance' boat that only does mid 60's, but the blower might limit the number of buyers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to overlook anything.
Thanks!
Jerry
Old 09-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

US 1: What a great topic !! I haven't made the exact same move as you, but have some insights for you.

I have a 35 lightning w/ 502 Magnum EFI's. I burn approximately 15 gals/hour at 4000 rpm and 60 mph spinning 23p Mirage Plus props through 1.36 ratio Bravos. I would expect that you would see similar fuel consumption with slightly better cruising speed with the 32.

As for selling your boat, I have had similar conversations with the dealer who sold me my boat. He has become a friend as well as a boat dealer. We ordered the boat with the 1.36 gears with the intention of adding superchargers. We also replaced the valve train with roller rockers and aftermarket exhaust - Stainless Marine. I have not yet made the supercharger upgrade.

All that said, his opinion is that I would have to restore the engines to stock before selling or trading-in.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Tom
Old 09-14-2002, 02:00 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

US1, where are you thinking of getting a slip? In our area?
Another boat to consider would be a Sunsation. They have a great cabin. I would say you need to stay with the slightly lower freeboard boats, like Fountain or Sunsation. That way you'll be closer to fitting in the garage.
My 34' Super Hawaii with 454 mags uses 1 gallon per mile. That's with 25p Mirage Plusses and 1:50 gears.

good luck and have fun

Mark
Old 09-14-2002, 03:30 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally posted by MegaByte*3

I have a 35 lightning w/ 502 Magnum EFI's. I burn approximately 15 gals/hour at 4000 rpm and 60 mph spinning 23p Mirage Plus props through 1.36 ratio Bravos.
4 miles per gallon????? or is that 15gal/hr per engine?????
Old 09-14-2002, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US1 Fountain,
My 35 averages 1.5 miles to the gallon. I have 454 Mags with Carbs. I use to tow it with a 1 ton Ford van with a 460. For local tows it was ok.

My storage is 42' deep. I have looked at 38' Sonics and Cigs. Both will fit with inches to spare on the right trailer.
Dan
Old 09-14-2002, 08:23 AM
fountainhead

Thumbs up 32 fountain here

i have a 32' fountain. I would suggest another brand if you arewanting comfort. there is not a lot of size differance between the your model and the 32'. I pull my boat weekly as weel with a v-8 excursion. struggles a little but has plenty of power and towing capacity to pull. my total weight is about 9700 lbs. you will need a least 40 ft storage unit when you factor the outdrives and the trailer tounge.

my brother in law has a powerquest and it is a really nice boat. his is a 38 ft avenger though and i can only speak to its cabin space. it appears that that model is a lot more spacious. kinda like the baja's interior vs. the size of ours.

Old 09-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry,
Height may be the limiting factor as you said but you can lower some trailers. Look closely at how the bunks are supported and talk to a welder. Trailer tire aspect ratio and rim selection could also lower you by an inch or so. May sound crazy but you could also cut the concrete just in front and behind the garage door. Sort of like a trench in a crescent shape so you can clear the header. When I had mud trucks with stupid big tires some friends had done this so they could clear the garage door. They cut out a path for the tire to roll into, made a steel trap door that fit over it with a gasket and put a small drain at the bottom of the trench. If there is a will there is a way.

Tim T.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great! Thanks for the replies.

I have thought of the trailor issue. My 27' sits on an Eagle, and with that it only clears the garage door by a couple inches. Down side is that the Eagles built for the Fountains, cross members hang WAY down low. But, if it has to drag at times to work for most of the time, so be it.

Fever Mike:
Thanks for the heads up. Or would that be exhaust?
I chose the 502 mags in hopes of being able to leave the tool box at home for once. 1st choice would be the HP500's. I didn't want to have to cut back on the boat by having more $$$ going for the blue motors alone. On the flip side, I'm thinking I will be in the '95-'97 year, so maybe the HP500 will not make that much of a difference over the mags????? Thoughts?

Candyman;
I currently get 1.6 mpg with my single motor. That's great to hear I can go bigger, and with twins and not get worse economy.
I'll put this on the '+' side.

Payton;
We are signed up for a slip on Monroe. We go there every weekend. Just gotta find a lift now.

A friend just bought a 34 Powerquest. Man is that nice up front. Did you know that you can stand up in there when you pee? THAT'S what I want. But ain' going to happen.

Will a Formula fit under an 8' door?
This leads us back to the Fountains, not that it is a bad thing.

Good to know my truck will work for now. The truck is fine, just could use a little help up front.

Blower setup: lots of Powdercoated stuff, chrome plated carb, SS braided lines, anodized chit, HORSE POWER= WOW factor.
Stock setup: black, black, black, slow outta the hole, slower on top= blah
But I hear ya!

Thanks All!
Jerry
Old 09-14-2002, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I say 2mpg is still awful good. I know I don't get 2mpg. I use over 20gph (per engine) at 60 mph. That works out to, what, less than 1.5 mpg??

I always figure on a little over 1 mpg when running fast cruise with mixed WOT thrown in for good measure. Ends up being pretty close. I'm running carbed 502 mags @ 415 each in a 7800# Formula (SR1 non-step).

I have an Owens & Sons trailer and I ordered it "low" with torsion axles and 14" wheels. Doesn't scrape as long as you tow on normal stuff. Boat sits low to the ground on the trailer. I don't know what the ground-to-windshield measurement is, but a 353 will be about 2" or 3" taller. I'm guessing a 96" header will be "close".

Hace you seen the pix of the 38 AT? What a cabin!
Old 09-14-2002, 11:40 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 29 ft Baja that I trailor every weekend. I'm a one man show when it comes to backing it in (the wife just wants to cruise). I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem. I currently tow with a 250 Ford with a V10. If I were you I WOULD NOT KEEP YOUR BOAT IN THE WATER! What a ***** at the end of the season....I tried it ONCE. Well just my 2c's.