Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Nice Donzi high and dry upside down in the road! >

Nice Donzi high and dry upside down in the road!

Notices

Nice Donzi high and dry upside down in the road!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That will buff right out!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jadento
To clarify...I kinda figured in the original post that the rollback was removing the trailer because the tong was basically gone. It was just funny that it took me a second to realize that. Anyhow, seems to me the original tow vehicle rear ended the SUV with the damage on the back that you can see on the side of the road in the video.

Since the rear of the trailer looks straight seems likely that the boat was not strapped to the rear of the trailer...not that straps would have completely kept the boat on the trailer. But they would have helped.

From the looks of the marks on the road, the driver might have swerved some with the brakes on the floor and therefore didnt hit the SUV going straight...then the boat came off the trailer(which wasn't in line with the tow vehicle) glanced off the left rear of the tow vehicle hit the road at an angle "hooked" and rolled.

John
Does anybody actually strap the back of the boat down?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
Every.
Single.
Time.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I do and I believe its a common practice.

*note - I don't believe standard 400-800 lb. motorcycle/cargo straps will hold in an decent accident. They simply help keep the boat from bouncing around on the trailer when you hit big bumps in the highway.

john
Old 08-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

does anybody actually strap the back of the boat down?
yes
Old 08-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In MN anyboat over 16ft has to have a transom strap on it, according to the nice state tropper that pulled me over last weekend.

He atleast let me off with a warning, maybe because my 9 month old was crying,once we got back on the road she stopped. Smart kid.

I should add that I alawys put one on any of my boats, but I picked this on up from a customer on my way home from the cabin. His boat he can do what he wants.

Last edited by turbom700; 08-19-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes Bow & Stern even when towing 5 mi to my local lake. Mine work reverse, I pull rearward from the bow eye back to keep my boat from launching into the bed of my truck in a panic stop & fasten 2 rear straps to keep the stern from bouncing around as well as not allow the boat to slide rearward show the bow strap back. On longer trips I place an additional strap vertically on my bow eye pulling straight down so the boat & trailer move as one mass.

But then again that's just me. In certain scenarios the straps will ultimately fail anyway.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to guess it was being towed on the flat bed truck..
the lexus or Mercedes suv are to small tow that boat... I didn't see hitches on them
Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

So, lets assume(based on zero knowledge or facts) that the owner was towing this boat and trailer in a convention fashion behind a capable vehicle in a legal manner(well aside from maybe tail gating)...Traffic comes to a stop he cant get stopped hits the vehicle in front of him and somehow this boat ends up like this. I am pretty sure its the owners fault for rear ending someone(in Maryland it always is). Also assuming the owner has general full coverage policies on the boat and vehicle. what insurance covers this? I would guess the boat insurance, but am not sure as I guess i 've never looked at my policy that closely...maybe I should. Also I think there are cases where Home Owners insurance can come into play, but I think that is pertaining to things that might be in the bed of a truck like a lawnmower.

John
Old 08-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To my knowledge tow vehicle insurance extends to the trailer & whats being towed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.