Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Have to rant... Saturdays run... >

Have to rant... Saturdays run...

Notices

Have to rant... Saturdays run...

Old 08-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I feared the worst. When you said you heard "crunch" sounds I thought you were going to say they were eating cheese puffs. I also slow way down if people don't hold on properly. I just tell them that if they aren't going to hold on properly that we won't be going fast. I try to educate my friends to take off their shoes before boarding any boat even if the captain says they don't have to. It just shows respect.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
It's a sad thing to say but only boat owners know how to respect boats and use common sense around them.
I'd have to disagree. Respect is a foundation of friendship...can't think of any friends I have who I don't respect. I've had plenty of non-boating friends on my vessels over the years and they all "get it" when it comes to the way we conduct ourselves on the water.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

OH I FEEL THE PAIN

It really gets to me when people show up and don't realize how much money it took to get this boat. Now I'm not in a class of most of the guys (and gals) on OSO-- you are way out of my league. But regardless if you spent 3/4 of a million or a few thousand- everyone should respect what another person has done to be there. We boat typically on an inland lake - and it is a mud bottom -- couple of weeks ago we anchored out to let everyone swim around - came time to leave and I asked a "participant" to haul up the anchor after I started the boat - pulled it right up- was careful not to hit the boat and politely put it gently into the boat-- what he didn't realize was that he brought on board a couple pounds of mud - His eyes met mine and you could see -- oh spit I really screwed up-- He couldn't stop apologizing. We got back to the dock and immediately he asked if he could just unsnap the carpet and let's hose it off - which we did and all was well.

I was always taught to respect what other have no matter what.

3pointstar
Old 08-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fordf350
The comedian Ron White said: "You can't fix stupid".

Yes you can I have done it. This is how..... take them to the island around us there is pib and kelleys. I took an old friend and his girl to pib she showed up in 6in heals and put one throw my bench seat. I sayed calm and didnt say a thing and after the last farrie left for the night so did i...... me and sead person r no longer friends. That how I handled it strand there ass on an island with no way off and no where to say. Lesson learned for them......
Old 08-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally understand. I go through that every time out. Only I don't get it from friends, it comes from my 4 young boys. It drives me bat shi t crazy. But I have to deal with it. If I were you I would have gave them a white knuckle ride and not stop till they begged you to stop. Then when you stop tell them to get off your boat in the middle of the bay
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I'd have to disagree. Respect is a foundation of friendship...can't think of any friends I have who I don't respect. I've had plenty of non-boating friends on my vessels over the years and they all "get it" when it comes to the way we conduct ourselves on the water.
Fair point, it was a generalization and perhaps a bit over simplified. I was referring to respect of the boat rather than respect between friends.

There are many little things on a boat that are considered normal by us but fanatical or obsessive by others. Spilling a drink on a washable surface really is harmless but still drives me crazy, putting a mobile in a pocket and having it rattle every time you hit a wave, leaving anything loose in the cockpit when underway, lifting up a seat cushion and not refitting it snugly. So many tiny things get to me that wouldn't occur to the majority of non boating people.

I do agree 100 percent about respect as a foundation of friendship.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 08-24-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Would have left the chump after the incident at card stop 2 AND kept his date on board..
Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
OH I FEEL THE PAIN

It really gets to me when people show up and don't realize how much money it took to get this boat. Now I'm not in a class of most of the guys (and gals) on OSO-- you are way out of my league. But regardless if you spent 3/4 of a million or a few thousand- everyone should respect what another person has done to be there. We boat typically on an inland lake - and it is a mud bottom -- couple of weeks ago we anchored out to let everyone swim around - came time to leave and I asked a "participant" to haul up the anchor after I started the boat - pulled it right up- was careful not to hit the boat and politely put it gently into the boat-- what he didn't realize was that he brought on board a couple pounds of mud - His eyes met mine and you could see -- oh spit I really screwed up-- He couldn't stop apologizing. We got back to the dock and immediately he asked if he could just unsnap the carpet and let's hose it off - which we did and all was well.

I was always taught to respect what other have no matter what.

3pointstar
I don't know what's worse. Your mud issue or the time a bimbo on my boat took it on herself to toss out the anchor and line ........not yet clipped to the boat.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What comes natural to us older folks, ....perhaps because it was beaten into us at an early age, does not apply any longer because you can only say no now to children and there are not consequences to inconsiderate actions.I Feel you're pain, next time let em swim back!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
Would have left the chump after the incident at card stop 2 AND kept his date on board..
Nah, she was how I realized what the crunching sound was. She smashed a can right in front of me on the floor. At least she apologized while my "friend" was telling me to calm down, but still, common sense isn't so common. Should have left both at the dock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.