Going to the Bahamas FAQs/Going to the Bahamas for dummies >

Going to the Bahamas FAQs/Going to the Bahamas for dummies

Notices

Going to the Bahamas FAQs/Going to the Bahamas for dummies

Old 09-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the Bahamas FAQs/Going to the Bahamas for dummies

I've never been to the Bahamas. I have several questions and am hoping some of the veterans can help out.
I've already learned a lot from this site, but have a few more questions.

1. How do I find a fellow boater to make the crossing?
2. Where to leave the truck and trailer for a week or two...is John Barry Light Harbor Park a safe place?
3. What do I need to do legally before I leave? File a float plan? What paper work other than passport and boat reg.
4. When returning to the states where exactly do I report into if parting from Riviera Beach.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you planning to go? Freeport is about 90miles offshore, Bimini is about 50miles offshore. What size boat and power do you have, range?

I have heard the launch ramps in that area near palm beach are sketchy, lots of beggers hanging around "helping" you dock your boat, aggressively.

I'd like to do the crossing sometime, but I'm waiting for a buddy to get a 28zx to go with me. A big power single bravo boat isn't ideal for long ocean trips lol.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by tnc110
I've never been to the Bahamas. I have several questions and am hoping some of the veterans can help out.
I've already learned a lot from this site, but have a few more questions.

1. How do I find a fellow boater to make the crossing?
2. Where to leave the truck and trailer for a week or two...is John Barry Light Harbor Park a safe place?
3. What do I need to do legally before I leave? File a float plan? What paper work other than passport and boat reg.
4. When returning to the states where exactly do I report into if parting from Riviera Beach.

Thanks for all the help.
John Barry doesn't allow overnight parking which actually wouldn't be a problem for you since your rig would be long gone by daybreak! Nothing good about Riviera Beach!

You can post here and/or the Hull Truth .com to see if anyone else is crossing. Find a better place than a boat ramp for a 1-2 parking spot. You actually don't have to legally do anything before you leave. When you return you can check in at customs/call in. If it happens to be a busy/ holiday weekend Customs has set up at Sailfish Marina in the past (closest marina to inlet, north side 500 ft)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Where are you planning to go? Freeport is about 90miles offshore, Bimini is about 50miles offshore. What size boat and power do you have, range?

I have heard the launch ramps in that area near palm beach are sketchy, lots of beggers hanging around "helping" you dock your boat, aggressively.

I'd like to do the crossing sometime, but I'm waiting for a buddy to get a 28zx to go with me. A big power single bravo boat isn't ideal for long ocean trips lol.

West End, Grand Bahama is only 55-60 miles off Palm Beach/Jupiter
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Registered

We are going to Marsh Harbor. Is there a customs point at Freeport or do we have to check in at West End first?
Boat is a 25zx with 600hp and 82 gallon tank.

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44

Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Registered

We are going to Marsh Harbor. Is there a customs point at Freeport or do we have to check in at West End first?
Boat is a 25zx with 600hp and 82 gallon tank.
West End is a probably the easiest check in in the Bahamas. The customs shack is on the fuel dock!

I thought Freeport harbor was hassle like you have to call in and get clearance to enter the harbor due to all the commercial traffic.

TNC- when are you planning on going? 25 with a single all the way to Marsh Harbor is going to be a long ride......
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered

We are hoping to go for christmas. I know the weather will be dicey, but we are scoping out some places for our wedding in August and would like to do a trial run.

Marsh Harbor is a haul...but we don't have to do it all in a day. We will be staying on the hook for most if not all of the trip. I plan on stopping for fuel often to be safe.

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
West End is a probably the easiest check in in the Bahamas. The customs shack is on the fuel dock!

I thought Freeport harbor was hassle like you have to call in and get clearance to enter the harbor due to all the commercial traffic.

TNC- when are you planning on going? 25 with a single all the way to Marsh Harbor is going to be a long ride......
Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We are hoping to go for christmas. I know the weather will be dicey, but we are scoping out some places for our wedding in August and would like to do a trial run.

Marsh Harbor is a haul...but we don't have to do it all in a day. We will be staying on the hook for most if not all of the trip. I plan on stopping for fuel often to be safe.
Yeah December isn't a good time to go out there. Chances are it'll be rough and nasty. You may get lucky with smooth water, but the majority of the "winter" here is pretty rough offshore. August is usually dead calm and no problem though.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Registered

weather is a gamble big time in dec, but it is sometimes perfect.
Whatever you do dont forget safety, make sure you carry a epirb at minimum and for additional measures a PLB.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered

My advice......skip the December trip. While the temps would be ideal for sleeping aboard there will be very little marine traffic going to/from so not a lot of people around to help you if you get in a jam. In a summer run you literally see dozens of boats going to/from, everything from center consoles to yachts plus the freighter traffic. Also there have been some miserable Key West Poker Runs in November when the seas spool up and the temps drop (and the offshore portion is just 30 miles of open water within view of land).

A 25 ft single is doable in the summer (though not advised by many) it will be a very different experience in the winter. If you want to scout, fly to Marsh Harbour and stay a few days and rent a CC to island hop. I suspect the cost to trailer the boat down, run it over/back burning $6 a gallon gas, Bahamas cruising permit etc. will exceed your costs to fly/rent.

Here is a 38 TG experiencing winter waves! Keep in mind this shot is within view of land.
http://flpowerboat.com/gallery/displ...bum=32&pos=397
http://flpowerboat.com/gallery/displ...bum=32&pos=403
http://flpowerboat.com/gallery/displ...bum=32&pos=404

Here is a smaller single engine boat:
http://flpowerboat.com/gallery/displ...bum=32&pos=399

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 09-02-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.