Old friends, same passion....Racing >

Old friends, same passion....Racing

Notices

Old friends, same passion....Racing

Old 09-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old friends, same passion....Racing

This is Charlie using the HORBA account so I can post some photos.

Had a reunion today with a good old friend of mine. We both share a deep passion for racing, his is cars and mine is boats.

In the old days, Offshore racers and Auto racers had a much closer relationship. We were often at their races and they would attend many of our races too.

Do Aronow was very close to Indy 500 winner, Mark Donohue. Mark even built some street versions of the IROC Camaros for Don and Doc Magoon and me.

Jochen Mass and I have been friends since 1977. From his Formula 1 days, driving for McLaren alongside James Hunt. At the same time he was also driving for Porsche in their endurance series with Jacky Ickx and Derek Bell, driving everything from 935 to 956 and 962's. Then he moved to Mercedes and won LeMans with their Group C car. At the same time he was mentoring a young driver by the name of Michael Schumaker.

Jochen and Stirling Moss are at Lime Rock Park this weekend for the Vintage Fall Festival. They are the Grand Marshalls and are here to drive some of the rare race cars from the Mercedes Benz museum.

Photos are from 1977 in Formula 1 to 1985 at the Daytona 24 hour race to the 1988 Sebring 12 hour race he won with Bobby Rahal ......to today where we compared how we look today with our helmets off as compared to the old days
Attached Thumbnails Old friends, same passion....Racing-banana0212.jpg   Old friends, same passion....Racing-cars0051.jpg   Old friends, same passion....Racing-cars0055.jpg  

Old friends, same passion....Racing-cars0053-small-.jpg   Old friends, same passion....Racing-img_0116.jpg   Old friends, same passion....Racing-img_0120.jpg  

Old 09-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Story. Thanks for sharing!