Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BUI in michigan... what to expect has anyone had one (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/330553-bui-michigan-what-expect-has-anyone-had-one.html)

Michiganboater 09-07-2015 06:46 PM

BUI in michigan... what to expect has anyone had one

UI in michigan... what to expect has anyone had one
Well as the topic says I got a BUI this weekend in Michigan from the DNR I blew a .11 they arrested me and i spent the night in county jail. friends of mine were able to take the boat back to the trailer. I was informed that it will not affect my driver's license as far as driving a vehicle goes but I am Not 100% sure I'm looking for advice from someone who has been there and for a heads up on what to expect next thank you

Craney 09-07-2015 06:50 PM

I'm not sure about the driver license I think it does,but PM Smarty on here he will know.

Pwraddr 09-07-2015 06:55 PM

What lake?

rexcramer1 09-07-2015 07:02 PM

I think this year it was just changed from .10 to .08 as the legal limit. I would not assume it will not affect your driver's license. Pony up for a lawyer and if you have no priors learn from your mistake and move on.

Jupiter Sunsation 09-07-2015 08:19 PM

In Florida a BUI definitely affects your license like a DUI would on the street.

Michigan BUI Defense Lawyer

In addition to operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, boating under the influence is also illegal in Michigan. You can be convicted of a BUI if your BAC limit is .10 or above and you are operating a boat or personal watercraft, such as a jet ski. The penalties for a BUI conviction are similar to a conviction for a DUI, which means that you can be sentenced to jail time, receive fines, and have your driver’s license suspended. Michigan’s Implied Consent law also applies to BUIs.

It is important to understand that being on the water can affect an operator’s impairment more than operating a motor vehicle. The wind, sun, engine noise, vibration, and motion of the boat can all lead to increased impairment. Boating is also seen as a social event, which leads people to not truly think through the consequences of drinking while boating.

Clayfan 09-08-2015 06:41 AM

A BUI charge and convections could prevent you from coming to Canada for business or vacation. In Canada, our DWI Laws are part of our Criminal Code. I know, its extreme, but we read all the time in the paper about people who have been turned back or arrested at the border for having a DWI charge on their record.

klaatutooyou 09-08-2015 06:53 AM

what is you,re other screen name ? this sounds familiar.:cool:

JRider 09-08-2015 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Clayfan (Post 4352211)
A BUI charge and convections could prevent you from coming to Canada for business or vacation. In Canada, our DWI Laws are part of our Criminal Code. I know, its extreme, but we read all the time in the paper about people who have been turned back or arrested at the border for having a DWI charge on their record.

Very doubtful they would arrest you at the border. You will most likely will not be admitted to Canada...but arrested, No.

ICDEDPPL 09-08-2015 08:13 AM

I`m no lawyer but blowing a .11 with a .10 limit. I`d argue accuracy of equipment. I did stay at a Holiday Inn :-)

JRider 09-08-2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4352233)
I`m no lawyer but blowing a .11 with a .10 limit. I`d argue accuracy of equipment. I did stay at a Holiday Inn :-)

Too bad the limit is .08