Question re: cockpit covers >

Question re: cockpit covers

Notices

Question re: cockpit covers

Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question re: cockpit covers

I hope this is posted int he right place!

....how tight should they fit? I am having one made by an extremely reputable "boat cover" place and when it was complete, It was so tight to put on, i could barely pull it enough to get the corners latched (cigarette style with the eyes and grommets). It was putting a LOT of stress on the windscreen and I had overall concerns about paint rubbing, and potential cracks to where the windscreen was mounted, the cover shrinking even the slightest would make it unusable.... I mean this thing was extremely tight.... so, they are making a looser fitting one, but my question is, how tight should these things be? if they require a pole anyway so water doesn't sit on it then shouldn't it fit a little looser? Looking for some feedback as to how some of these fit / should fit - a few pics would really be appreciated as well, thanks!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Is it Sunbrella material ? they all stretch a bit over time, mine doesn't have the wind screen and it takes a pretty good pull to get it over the clips, with the pole ring it should fit a bit looser, did you pattern it off the old one, personally I like a tighter fit

Edit: I'd be interested in the other one if they don't have a buyer for it

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-10-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Registered

the new cover is made / being made of Aqualon (sp?) definitely not Sunbrella....
I was told this would actually shrink some over time... but if it did stretch some, that would be better...

no, iot was actually measured and custom made from measurements they came out and took - was just really surprised that they felt it was good for as tight as it was originally though
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Couple thoughts:

1) Put some pipe foam over the top of your windscreen before you install any cockpit cover on any boat. This will give the cover some easement when it needs to stretch over the windscreen without directly contacting it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pipe...FQR0Pgod_3cF8w
(If the kind you buy has adhesive, remove the adhesive before you put it on the boat) Just throw this in a compartment in the cabin when you are out and about. FWIW, I never travel without my cockpit cover. If you break down somewhere and have to leave the boat, it's best covered.)

2) Put the cover on the boat as best as you can and SOAK it with water. This will allow the cover to stretch whatever it may have capability to do so. Then snap the rest of the snaps you could not get. Then let the cover dry naturally, preferably not in the sun (under roof). This will allow the cover to form fit. This may take a couple of sequences of such.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Registered

I had a couple finger loops sewn into the back so I could snap it on, really made it easy.
Tight is good, you don't want it flapping.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be tight at first, Sunbrella stretches once it is on. My friends took 2 weeks to finally get all snaps connected.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who made this cover? I need some new cockpit covers made and would like to talk to them.

Dan
Old 09-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also struggling to get all the snaps down on my cockpit cover on my 312. Each day I get one or two more snapped