Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would love to hear what some of you are doing with your cash pile to make money >

Would love to hear what some of you are doing with your cash pile to make money

Notices

Would love to hear what some of you are doing with your cash pile to make money

Old 09-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuck B Crazy
An annuity from an insurance company can be good. Drawback it locks the cash long term. A family friend made $100 million from stock options in the 80's. He has been earning $1 million per year since then with an annuity. He hates losing money. He still has about $50 million in free cash. Has not worked since 84. Once you make a stock pile of cash, focus should be on preservation, making a good income. Not making another giant stock pile.
You friend would be a perfect candidate for life settlements. Beat up the insurance industries with average returns of 35% APR in a properly put together portfolio. Yes my 35% figure is correct, why do you think Warren Buffet is the largest player in this industrie.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Had a friend Charlie that was doing the same thing with executive jets. Of course timing is everything and one does not want to get caught when the economy turns down and be stuck with a couple of jets or helicopters. Same for for speculators when real estate crashes.

Bob
I heard a similar story with herb chambers...had a mega yacht on order and because a saudi prince wanted his yacht faster, chambers was paid handsomely to wait for another yacht to be built. Someone mentioned it was in the millions.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MCRacing
You friend would be a perfect candidate for life settlements. Beat up the insurance industries with average returns of 35% APR in a properly put together portfolio. Yes my 35% figure is correct, why do you think Warren Buffet is the largest player in this industrie.
He was an accountant originally. He wants zero risk. He did however buy lots of Vegas real estate in the 80's. Before it boomed in the 90's.

My take by age 50 you should have the house paid off. No kids in college. Very little living expenses. Should be able to live on $100k to $200k per year after taxes. Biggest expense should be property taxes.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Boat transportation/disposal? In my best Fargo accent... "Was that your boat there in the chipper?!"
i live in fargo, and that accent was HORRIBLE!!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Registered

rental properties, in 15 years when they are paid off, should provide a very nice retirement income to go with the 401K
Old 09-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Your reply is incorrect

MC, you are correct......Viatical Settlements are now called Life Settlements and are certainly invested in today by Warren Buffet and several hedge funds. However, this type of investment has been the basis for several "scam investments" in the past and aren't for the novice investor.

This was a decent article in Time regarding them: http://time.com/money/3556983/life-s...-creepy-truth/

But note: "For buyers, settlements are complex and illiquid, and they may not pay out for many years. Given these hidden risks, they generally do not make sense for individual investors."

Quoting "Warren Buffet does it" in any investment plan should usually be the red flag for a small time investor......
Old 09-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
buy some V W stock
It is down $50-55 this week.....so long term you could be right!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by nocoolname37
rental properties, in 15 years when they are paid off, should provide a very nice retirement income to go with the 401K
Yea here in Florida I wouldn,t expect much cash flow for the 1st 5 years until the current rent prices catchup and pass the suddenly inflated price these days that you would have had to pay for the rental property.

Insurance is the killer here and it aint going nuthin but up..

I would not touch Commercial property with a 20 foot pole unless it was good cheap storage or work bays bought at a reasonable price.

Retail frontage is a dying dog.

Last edited by tommymonza; 09-25-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Registered

Investment "kills" have hurt a lot of people. Make you money, then go conservative usually has the best outcome. A few celebrity investors had different approaches. Scottie Pippen was a "return chaser" after hearing locker room talk about how much someone claimed they got in a stock or investment idea. People would pitch him reasonable stuff and he didn't want it, he wanted "kills" so he eventually surrounded himself with people that promised the moon and he lost most of his fortune in real estate development then sued everyone that didn't stop him from making bad investments.

Curt Schilling had a 50mm fortune he poured into a video game. He has been quoted as saying he wanted to be "Bill Gates Rich" and figured that since he was involved (Curt) that the venture couldn't fail because he viewed himself as a successful person. Imagine having 50mm earing even 5% (2.5mm a year, forever!) but "going for it" and losing it all in a video game venture?

Wayne Gretzky has is right. He has a 60+ million dollar fortune and "wouldn't invest in anything that would jeopardize his family's wealth for generations to come." He said he invests less than 5% of his fortune in speculative stuff. Guaranteed fixed income is what he is interested in. Big picture: For a guy that has been wealthy for years, whether he has 60 million or 100 million is really irrelevant, he would have the same lifestyle so why go risky when you are already rich!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Yea here in Florida I wouldn,t expect much cash flow for the 1st 5 years until the rent prices pass the suddenly inflated price these days that you would have had to pay for the property.

Insurance is the killer here and it aint going nuthin but up..

I would not touch Commercial property with a 20 foot pole unless it was good cheap storage or work bays bought at a reasonable price.

Retail frontage is a dying dog.
Insurance hurts but property taxes aren't going away either! I know a 35 year old guy that just built his dream home......tax bill 140K a year! Figure taxes, insurance, utilites, service people......that house is going to cost him 250K a year forever plus any mortgage expenses!

I would love to own a storage facility.......get it full of people's stuff that they can't part with and collect the $100-200 a month forever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.