Originally Posted by caseyh
Redo yours and you can have a builge like this
Empty?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Empty?
lol yep. Spent all your money on making it smooth and imron paint then making coustom interplats.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caseyh
Redo yours and you can have a builge like this

That's what I'm looking to do. Clean her up and make her look new again. Probably more time than money. 40k might be an over estimate. I'd like to rewire from the helm back and that alone is probably a 50 hr job. The wife would like to give her a bit of a classic look and do a teak swim platform and teak floor in the cabin and down the center like the well craft nova my buddy gas. I know paint is all in the preparation and I'm not bad with a spray gun and I have friends that work at body shops. What I really don't want to happen is miss a season because it's not done.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
We all usually tend to spend money on things that we enjoy and have fun with,---not always because they're the best investment.

A friend of mine has a boat that he has had for 11+ years with about 750 hours on it. Plus, he has it all paid off with the bank now. He wasn't sure if he wanted to upgrade it or just sell and buy something newer, but he really enjoys the boat he has had for all these years. He found the right people in 3 different shops.....for repainting it with a new graphic design, another shop for re-rigging new gauges, and electronics, and other upgrades, and another shop for rebuilding/upgrading the engines. He is having things done the way he wants and likes it, and it will be fun for him to see and feel the difference with the same boat and all the previous "seat time" he has had in it.
If you're talking about who I think you are, this is a different situation. Spend 60-80k on a boat you have vs spending $3-400k on what he'd want to replace it is an easier call. It's much harder look at spending 40k redo's and looking at 50-60 for the newer boat. Plus, I'd be willing to bet there's an additional Skater in the future anyway, so keeping the current boat and updating makes sense. Spending less now makes that possible sooner. Once you own 3 boats, what's one more? I KNOW you understand that concept. LOL!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

The 420's are a great base for 500-550 hp, the trs's and trannies are a great package that are cheap to run maintain-- and will last last in that boat for a long time...
Guessing you should run around 75 mph with 500+ hp. You can always take your engines with you if you decide to trade in/up at a later dater....

Interior is fairly reasonable to recover

Hull paint is what you make it -- or look into a wrap....

If you are not looking to go bigger what else would you look for?
The formulas have a good ride and are well built, a lot of boats that are newer and lighter will not ride as well or as predictable for lake Michigan IMO.

Your choice.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Registered

Keep what you have. Fixed up older boats are where it's at you'll be be happier. Jmo
Old 10-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liquid Fix
My opinion is sell over upgrade. To drop 40K on a 27 year old boat that's worth maybe 15k and will only be worth 15k after dropping 40K to update?? I would take the 40K, find a 20+ year newer Formula 311 Fastect;, faster, newer power, more modern color combo, plusher cabin, blah blah bla!!!h, and go beat on it for the next 20 years. Money way ahead....JMO
If U choose a newer Formula, & money is right 4 U, go 2 the 353 Fastech, NOT the 312! Had both!! U will want the 35!!! Much nicer, ride, size, cabin amenities, etc! Good Luck, T
Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Registered

Buy newer
Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
If U choose a newer Formula, & money is right 4 U, go 2 the 353 Fastech, NOT the 312! Had both!! U will want the 35!!! Much nicer, ride, size, cabin amenities, etc! Good Luck, T
Isn't the 353 about the same size as his 311? 311 measured without the bolt on platform and the 353 measures with the molded in platform?