Like Tree0Likes

Trip to Destin

Old 10-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boat: 1985, Mistress
Default Trip to Destin

We are looking at taking the boat to Destin this month. Where to stay with access to marina? Would like to keep boat in the water and not have to drive to marina if possible.

Also, things to do by boat or land?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 10-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boat: 1985, Mistress

Anything???
Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 AM
CLA
Registered

We go all the time. I like the marina at brooks bridge. It used to be legendary but it changed names. I've left my boat in the water there for 5-6 days at a time.

You will have to drive to the marinas especially if you stay at emerald grand or somewhere far away.

I run my boat down to some islands before orange beach, crab island, out the inlet and down the beach, etc.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1999 27' Fountain--"Runnin' Fever"

If you haven't already booked a place to stay I would look on vrbo.com for houses to rent on Holiday Isle. A lot of them are on a canal so you can keep your boat at the house. We have been renting the same house on Holiday Isle since 2008 for the Emerald Coast Poker Run and love it. Makes it so much easier to walk out the back door and hop in the boat.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Registered

I did some extensive research on this about 15 years ago. Mechanical (drive) problems kept me from bringing ours, but my buddy brought his boat. We were trailering our boat, so we just launched at a ramp on the bay, so can't help much with in-water dockage. I do recall that things can get tricky running through the crossing out into the gulf, especially if the tide is coming in and the wind is coming from the direction of the gulf. Add wakes from the sport fishers coming in, and things can get stacked up pretty big. Some caution in this area is warranted.

Crab island in the mouth of the bay near the bridge was a popular spot for people to hang out. Lots of shoals and shallow spots in the bay, so stay inside the channel markers.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Registered

My Boat: 91 Scarab Sport 30 Twin 225 EFI's

We have been down there a ton and here is what I know. I agree holiday island is the place to rent so you can get a slip. We usually launch at joes bayou but no overnight parking there. Also there is no trailers allowed on holiday island so you usually have to find a place to rent for the week to store your trailer.