Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cigarette "Unleashed" Engine Build Details & Teaser VIDEO !!! >

Cigarette "Unleashed" Engine Build Details & Teaser VIDEO !!!

Notices

Cigarette "Unleashed" Engine Build Details & Teaser VIDEO !!!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Cigarette "Unleashed" Engine Build Details & Teaser VIDEO !!!

Unleashed is running great and we are enjoying the new engines! The fresh Supercat engines that came in the boat spun a rod bearing the first time out destroying the starboard engine. We are pretty confident that the oil system was never cleaned out properly before the engines were installed. The tanks, lines, and coolers were full of metal shavings on BOTH sides, and the port engine still looked good internally. So we parted them out and started fresh ordering new parts in November. The plan was to build a pair of 557cu/in 1100hp Whipple 4.5L intercooled Port Injection Engines. Plans changed in March after finding out my Headers were too restrictive. Instead of spending all that coin and risking disappointment running current headers, or delaying the build further ordering new headers and spending another 20k, we decided to listen to my friend’s original advice (engine builder friend Scott & mentor Joe “Mild Thunder”) and build Carb’d N/A Engines. Super Happy with the decision! Plus you can’t beat the sound of some naturally aspirated tractor pipes! Here is a rundown on how the build turned out.

753hp @6000rpm & 731ft/lb @4600rpm 93 pump fuel on a DEPAC Dyno with my 1 7/8th Headers and flame arrestors. Made 800 with Dyno Headers.

572 cu/in
9.95:1 Compression
Dart Big M Blocks
Callies Magnum Cranks Dual Keyed
Carillo Rods with Carr bolts
JE Pistons
Morel Hi Rpm .903 Lifters
55MM Hyd Roller Cams
7/16th Pushrods
AFR 335 CNC heads (Precisely tuned by sizing guides for my application, valve job touched up, clearance pushrods, spring pressures, etc.)
T&D Steel Shaft Rockers (Precisely setup)
Spring Oilers
Piston Oilers
4 Stage Dry Sump Oil System
Oil thermostats
Oberg return line oil filters
Jessel belt drive
Victor JR. intake Ported
Prosystems 1200 Dominator Carbs
Daytona Sensors Ignition

They start and idle in gear at 700rpm with the crash boxes. Acceleration is impressive and they can be run hard until you get tired of holding the throttle forward! Plus they are pretty efficient; we cruised at 4500-5000+rpms for over 220miles straight and only burned 181gallons total, 1.21mpg. No speed numbers yet just running some borrowed skater cat 1200HP Thick 37” Pitch 15deg rake 5 Blade 16.5” Diameter Mercury Racing Offshore Cleavers but she’s pretty fast:-) Best part is the boat is rock solid, handles so good she’s almost boring.

Overall we are happy that we found some great guys to help with the build, guys with more than just theoretical engine ideas. Guys that have engine building, rigging and setup knowledge plus actual hands on experience! It paid off after running over 100 miles on the maiden voyage with no major problems! Easily broke 100mph and have been running fast and hard ever since! Kristy and I are impressed to say the least. Especially after hearing and watching horror story after horror story of catastrophic failures, rigging issues, and even setup nightmares. Pretty refreshing to finally have a good outcome to this adventure!

Here is a teaser clip with more to come throughout the off season!

Hold on tight and crank up the volume while you watch this in 1080HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIx6ID45gFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIx6ID45gFY

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 10-02-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad azz! Sounds great!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:32 AM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome!!!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats guys! Love that boat! (you kids are ok too)
Old 10-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

shaweeet! Wanna trade places?

Maybe someday we can run together, well, you know what I mean.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the build went well! OK, "went well" is an understatement--it is off the chain! Love the video, especially at about 0:30 when your heads snap back to look at the boat you just passed. Thanks, looking forward to more.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it looks great and looks like you both enjoy it!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It was a long winter talking to offshorexcursion about the engine builds and setups. I am very happy to see them out enjoying the boat!

I got to be their first passenger aboard , for a little tuning time. I was very impressed with the boat . Mainly concerned with monitoring gauges , after a little while i glanced at the speedo. I was thinking maybe we were running 80ish, and actually we were cruising at 100 plus. Couldnt believe how stable the boat was at 100, especially with some borrowed props. Acceleration was very good as well!

The real credit goes to his buddy scott. He did an excellent job on the engines. No leaks, no drama, no bs. Kevin and kristy did a fine job as well rigging things , etc. Sometimes its nice to have a small group of people together, who can share ideas with each other, and have open minds about things. In this case, it got off to a rocky start, but played out well in the end.

Got to run "Mild Thunder " along side unleashed for a bit labor day weekend. Then he gracefully peeled away at 90 plus, and those tractor pipes sure sounded nice along side me, and pulling away from me . Congrats , nice work guys .
Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Come on! You have to mark that video NSFW. I can't stand up right now!

Congrats!!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds and looks great, congratulations on the successful build. I am doing a very similar engine
Build with some 540's. Can you say what the cam specs are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.