Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Funny stories from launching areas >

Funny stories from launching areas

Notices

Funny stories from launching areas

Old 09-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Rick252

Default Funny stories from launching areas

Here's one I never seen before. A friend and I are getting ready to launch our boats at Alligator 1 in Lake Cumberland. A guy comes down the ramp kinda fast, hits his brakes and lets his boat slide off the trailer. Then hurries and parks his car. Runs to the lake and dives in and swims out to his boat..
Made my day

Anyone else have some funny/stupid experiences ?

Old 09-17-2002, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEVER heard THAT one before. That's good! Every so often someone starts a thread like this and the stories start flowing. I am looking forward to seeing the replies. Thanks!

Shane
Old 09-17-2002, 08:00 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not funny but obnoxious NY people at Gullies Right Shane

Jon
Old 09-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Registered

Jon,

I was gonna mention both of our experiences that day but I figured we may want to keep that amongst those in attendance! Especially if Troutly knows anyone on the Newburgh Police Force!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:21 AM
DonMan

I have read plenty of funny boat ramp experiences and have personally witnessed a few things that were entertaning. The funniest thing that I have seen in person was the time we had just launched and were tied to the dock waiting for the crew to load up. All of a sudden we heard this ear-piercing screech, like someone had locked up their brakes waiting for a collision. We see this pickup backing down the ramp with a Sea-Doo attached. The Sea-Doo was turned completely sideways against the tailgate of the truck. The driver just kept backing up toward the water. Then we see a young lady standing near the water, motioning for the truck to keep on backing. We jump out of the boat and run over to offer assistance. About the time we get there, they have the Sea-Doo in the water and start unstrapping it. Another young lady jumps out of the driver`s seat, acting like nothing had happened. We mention to the two young ladies that they were not backing the trailer correctly. They driver told me "Yes I know, but I have tried several times and cannot back it up right. It`s in the water isn`t it?"
I say, whatever floats your boat.....

Old 09-17-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Outa no where...KABOOM!
We look over to the launch ramps and there sits a pretty good sized boat smack dab in the middle of the ramp
A guy and his girl where lanching their single engine cruiser, he unhooked it, started to back down the ramp, and it "rolled" of its trailer.
It took about 10 people to push it down into the water.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:34 AM
hoodlum

I know a guy that was retrieving his fishing boat at a ramp on one of our local inland lakes. He thought his 1/2 ton Chevy would surely need to be locked in 4 high to pull the14ft. aluminum pig up the ramp?? After backing the trailer into the water he reached down and yanked the transfer case into tug mode. It was only after exiting the vehicle to get the boat that he realized the transfer case never actually made it into gear. Down she went trailer and all! Damn thing ended up in thirty feet of water!

This was about four years ago, and this is still his every day driver today!

Old 09-17-2002, 10:54 AM
Registered

I saw a guy once start backing his 30 some ft. Bayliner down the ramp on a rollerbunk trailer w/out the bow strap hooked, he tapped his brakes and the boat went sailing off of the trailer and landed on the ramp about 30 ft. from the water I think they had to shove it into the water w/a truck

Another time I saw a guy who borrowed his buddies brand new Jeep Wrangler to launch his jet ski, he too thought that he needed 4x4 but didnt hit it until he started up the ramp, I can imagine what his friend was thinking when he got a call saying that his new jeep was at the bottom of the lake

Another time I saw a guy put his wife in their fishing boat as he backed down the ramp the boat slid into the water. the guy went to park his truck and came back to see his boat floating out in the middle of the lake w/ his wife screaming (IT WONT START), the guy had to swim out to get the boat. It was a verry windy day.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Registered

Snug Harbor Muskegon on a very busy day, guy was yelling at his wife,girlfriend, to get on the seadoo and drive it away after he backed into the water. He backed down the ramp and she started it, put it in reverse and started to back away but forgot to unhook the wench rope,she got off to unhook it but he started to drive away thinking he's cool with some hip hop playing loud as hell music, dragging this sea doo behind, girl standing there shaking her head with her hands on her hips, I almost fell in the water laughing,the guy next to her ran into the dock, very funny
Old 09-18-2002, 05:28 AM
Rick252

Default One from Brookville Lake , Ind

Standing at the ramp watching the idiots. This was one of our favorite past times there. A guy in a tri-hull Mark Twain pulls is boat up on the trailer. He guns the outboard trying to get it all the way on, but the trailer isn't deep enough in the water. The boat makes it a little over half way on thre trailer. He jumps out of the boat, connects the winch strap, jumps back in his car flys up the ramp and slams his brakes on causing the boat to slam against the bow stop. He then reels in the slack in the winch and drives off.

* Tip of the day*
When your bored and nothing to do, take a cooler of your favorite drinks and some lawn chairs and go sit near launching ramps.. Great time

Quick Reply: Funny stories from launching areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.