Notices

Props for the 400R motors

Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props for the 400R motors

Ok guys here the question. Putting a set of Mercury Racing 400R outboards on a 32ft Spectre Cat. Has anyone ran these motors on a cat yet? I am looking for a starting point on props, everything I find is based on them being run on a deep v center console. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie77905
Ok guys here the question. Putting a set of Mercury Racing 400R outboards on a 32ft Spectre Cat. Has anyone ran these motors on a cat yet? I am looking for a starting point on props, everything I find is based on them being run on a deep v center console. Any help will be appreciated.
There is all kinds of news on them being on cats-
29 DCB
318 Skater
328 Skater
32 Doug Wright

Do a google search on Skater 318 with 400s.

There has been all kinds of news on them on this site.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

....in addition to all of the above, here is a good resource for how Hering props are working out for DougWright cats

https://www.facebook.com/Supreme-Mar...=page_internal
Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Default props

Originally Posted by Jamie77905
I was out at Skater and then Mercury racing recently dialing in the new Skater 318. Im not sure of the weight of your rig but mine is 5500lbs and roughly 31 foot. It was widened 10 inches on the standard 308 hull. Mercury ran 4 blade cleavers and 4 blade Bravo FS props 33 inch both. Not sure of the diameters. They ended up Making a set of CNC 5 blade 33 pitch 15 diameter cleaver props. None of the four blade props ran very well. The Bravos ran up in the 106mph range at 7000 rpm. Slip was 15%. Not great. Most of the guys running bravos are around that slip # but not everybody. My rig ended up at 114mph with 5% slip with the motors 1 3/4 inch above the bottom I think. We raised them to 2 inches where they kept them and slip ended up at 8%. Acceleration was better up there. Thats pretty damn good. I don't think the set up has anything left in it. Merc thru everything they had at it. In order to get that engine height we cut water ramps in the bottom of the boat which allowed us to keep pressure up at 2 inches. Problem with these props is that they won't be out to the public until another 10 months or so and they're not cheap although none of them are. I had to take them as the boat needed 5 blades to really run right. I think Im gonna get a set of the Bravos as back ups in case something happens. Again Im not familiar with Spectre boats and this is all new to me. My boat is actually very big for a 30 footer. ask anybody who has seen it. It runs awesome with the 400s Can cruise at 95mph at almost 2 mpg. Im pretty sure it would not have gotten over 100mph with the 300s because of its size. The 400s gave me at least 14 mph over the 300 motors and Im pretty sure Ill see more at some point under different conditions. Boat hit its numbers with 1 person, approx 100 gallons of gas and glass flat fresh water. Motors pushed that rig to an everyday number of 114mph not once but repeatedly over a three week period. I also only have the motors on three inch jackplates mounted right to the hull which has no notch in the bottom. They seem to like it closer to the boat. I think it may be possible to get a bit more from a different version of this Merc prop but thats a story for another day. Good luck with your quest. Thes props worked well for me but my rig is new and was kind of an experiment as one was never built before. Steve.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

How fast did the 32 DW go?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
How fast did the 32 DW go?
Still waiting. I heard 119mph today but not 100% sure about that. They are supposed to post soon per their words. Im guessing it should be close to 125mph when done being that the 300xs boat ran 10mph faster than the Skater 30 top end.