Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What  requires more skill, running a big or a small boat? >

What requires more skill, running a big or a small boat?

Notices

What requires more skill, running a big or a small boat?

Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not as experienced as some of the other people on here but, here's my 2 cents. I found my 24 foot Baja with single was easier to tow, and dock during high cross winds or currents due to the smaller size. My 36 Baja is easier to dock or maneuver due to having twin drives but, more to handle when docking against a cross wind or fast current as there is more hull. It is also easier to drive in rougher water due to the longer length and heavier weight. The 24 was more hands on at the same speed in the same conditions due to the size difference.

All in all a smaller boat requires more constant input at the same speed as a bigger heavier boat. Although, I'm sure once you are over 100 mph any boat is a handfull. But I don't have any personal experience there yet...
Old 10-23-2015, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say if you can drive an Allison (any model) at speed (say 90+ MPH), you can drive anything. Reading big water, parking, running twins or triples, is another adventure. What's cool about the Allisons is you either can or you can't - there is no in between.

MDS
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Most have touched on this so here's my summary. Speeds being the same, a smaller boat is harder to drive IMO. In other words, a 22' boat at 80mph will be harder to drive than a 38' boat at 80 mph. However, there are plenty of other variables that can come into play.

It's funny that people are mentioning Allisons, and I have heard how hard they are to keep on the pad. I owned a Donzi Blackhawk for 7 years, and I always joked that I could drive anything after owning that boat!
Old 10-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesufka
I would say if you can drive an Allison (any model) at speed (say 90+ MPH), you can drive anything. Reading big water, parking, running twins or triples, is another adventure. What's cool about the Allisons is you either can or you can't - there is no in between.

MDS
I drive an Allison, because I can drive an Allison.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these allisons sound like fun!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drive my donzi x18 like i stole it..its a hand full over 75 but its the reason i like to drive it..unpredictable and living on the edge..you best know what your doin or you will be lookin at your wake in 2 seconds flat.. i can dock it like no other and it sips fuel,,now my formula,wake me up when we get there..
Old 10-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

The word "experience" has been mentioned more than a few times in various replies to this thread. This reminds me of an old saying:

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from making mistakes."

That said, I think those mistakes that eventually add up to high performance boating wisdom are better made in a small, fast boat.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
The word "experience" has been mentioned more than a few times in various replies to this thread. This reminds me of an old saying:

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from making mistakes."

That said, I think those mistakes that eventually add up to high performance boating wisdom are better made in a small, fast boat.
Mistakes....I mentioned a 10' aluminum boat with a 5.5 hp Evinrude with the tiller arm in an earlier post, well I was a little kid, seven years old, in Absecon Inlet jumping the sport fishing boat wakes and flying my 10' boat through the air like the racers of that day Dr. Bob Magoon or like Art "Snapper" Norris. My parents were on the beach in Brigintine with the 4x4 Chevy Blazer on the beach at the cove (1972). Well I stick the little boat way up in the air nose to the sky, and when I landed I submerged the back corner of the boat and swamped it, the floatation in the bench seating kept it from sinking. Yes, a mistake, but as you said I gained experience. I was towed to the beach, my father got the Evinrude back going again, my mother was not happy at all, but you gotta learn.

Last edited by Smarty; 10-24-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Im goin with this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRwkrBZzsA
Old 10-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
Kind of Darwinian going that fast without wearing life vests.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.