how I hate these decisions >

how I hate these decisions

Notices

how I hate these decisions

Old 10-27-2015, 05:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I liked the above post almost 2500 times, but it doesn't show this.

Love it !
Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I have an 1989 Talon with triple axle steel trailer 6k+. I tow with a 1985 burb with 80k on chassis. It has a 14ff rear, Dana 60 front, carbed 454/4l80e with 500 miles maybe, np205, 6" lift with 33" TAs'. It barely gets any use as its 10 miles to fuel up from lake house. Easy to work on. I have 10k in it and everything is new. Your retarted so you have plenty of time to work on it if need be. Get something cheap 10k that you like.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BB, not sure if you can edit, but....
Good point except spell check got cha. Lol
Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I had the trifecta of noise......new Escalade with the 6.2 across the street, Roush Raptor 2 doors down (guy is an on call Dr. so it can fire up at anytime) and a kid down the street just got a Ram with flowmasters. The Escalade got traded for a Prius.......so silence there. Ram kid will be going to college in a few months and I think the Dr. will eventually want something less than a Raptor for daily driving.
my kind of neibors
Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Well the blown brake ine was replaced and the u-joints on the tansfer case driveshaft replaced. This brakeline situation has me bothered. This is the second line to fail in two years. repair shop wants close to $1K to replace all the lines and then whats the next &1K repair ? Think the truck is going on craigslist with a note to check the remaining lines. With winter approaching, an unheated garage and at my age (71) I'm not about to crawl under this thing.

I also think buying a $10k used truck only brings similar woes. Good thing I have a few months to figure thing out.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Well the blown brake ine was replaced and the u-joints on the tansfer case driveshaft replaced. This brakeline situation has me bothered. This is the second line to fail in two years. repair shop wants close to $1K to replace all the lines and then whats the next &1K repair ? Think the truck is going on craigslist with a note to check the remaining lines. With winter approaching, an unheated garage and at my age (71) I'm not about to crawl under this thing.

I also think buying a $10k used truck only brings similar woes. Good thing I have a few months to figure thing out.
Doing brake lines cant be any worse than an afternoon on a DN.... Sold mine because after a weekend it took the next week before I could stand up straight....
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Doing brake lines cant be any worse than an afternoon on a DN.... Sold mine because after a weekend it took the next week before I could stand up straight....
Don't have a DN. Mine is a JX and has a sit in cockpit, actually a Skeeter class boat. And yes I probably could do the brakes but again whats the next failure ? There is a point where you're putting more into the truck then it's worth. Wait ! why am I saying that when we all do this with our boats ?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:47 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
BB, not sure if you can edit, but....
Good point except spell check got cha. Lol
Ummm...how do you know thats not what he meant? I like politically incorrect people
Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor

Good old Chevy brake lines and Northern states. Uuurgh.

Chevrolet's replacement lines are under $100 for the complete set (minus rear axle) and plastic coated like Fords. Typical replacement includes a caliper or two, due to corrosion on those.

Anyway, first handful of years we did these, there where no replacement set and the typical complete brake line replacement would cost my customers $700-$800 depending on calipers or etc. Now, most don't go over $600. The last needed a ABS module, so that repair ended up being $1100 total with lines, new Delco module, and 3 calipers. Oh, and all 5 flexible brake line hoses.

Remember, most of the Northern shops are pro's at replacing these lines and parts because of the shear volume we do. I have another slated to come in Monday, but we are doing the fuel lines and fuel pump too.

ACDelco is on Amazon, so you can get your brake lines there. Going to the dealer for the brake line kit should only be maybe $20-$30 more.

Edit in: my shop' neighborhood location has a lot of low income, so our prices may be a little lower than others. Figured I'd note this as I don't know how we compare to other areas.

Last edited by SB; 10-28-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
I wish I could've swung a Diesel (I'm a Cat mechanic by trade) but they were still bringing $16,000 with 200,000+ miles on 'em
When you figure the fuel price difference my cost per mile is close.. Still doesn't pull like a Diesel though....
When I bought my v10 2000 F250 new, the HP/TQ ratings were almost identical with the 7.3. I don't notice much of a difference when pulling with my dad's 7.3 and my 6.8. And the mpg are about the same towing a 10k+ load.