Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/332264-buying-boat-canada-bringing-back-usa-what-do-i-need-know.html)

Ironmanwb 11-07-2015 12:55 PM

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know?

Looking at a boat in Canada. What do I need to know to get a title in Ohio? Are there any import/export or other taxes I need to know about?

Anything else I should be aware of as far as bringing it into the U.S.?

blownhammer2000 11-07-2015 02:41 PM

I just did this last Saturday, for pa all I needed was the bill of sale and proof of ownership from seller on both trailer and boat, I have to pay tax and reg fees when I reg in my state, as for export fees, can't help, seller took care of all that and meet me in new York, good luck!!!

Ironmanwb 11-07-2015 03:21 PM

Thanks I just want to make sure I don't get screwed with stupid fees or not being able to title or register the boat.

Feverz29 11-07-2015 03:30 PM

There are several federal government forms that need to be completed and approved by customs. Blownhammer seems to have had the seller complete that on his behalf. If it's not in order, they won't let the boat in the country. You may have already known that, but just didn't want you to get caught off guard if you weren't aware. Good luck.

BlueOval 11-07-2015 04:10 PM

Buddy just brought a Donzi back he bought. They made a mistake and he had to travel back 4 hours to get paperwork correct on trailer. If you get any questions I am sure Joe would let you know.

Canuck B Crazy 11-07-2015 04:20 PM

There is some duty to be paid. You need to do some EPA document for the boat. Then another form for the trailer. Registering at the state level, you need the two forms stamped and proof duty was paid along with a bill of sale.

The EPA and DOT forms are complicated enough, its easier to get a customs broker and well worth the extra cash to have them deal with the import.

twin69 11-07-2015 05:09 PM

I just did it a few weeks ago. NO DUTY OWED. From what they told me as long as it's all American/Canadian made no taxes apply. I did not pay a cent. Just make sure all your paper work is in order and bring your passport

JRider 11-07-2015 05:25 PM

Pm ajfisher. He has been there done that

Ironmanwb 11-08-2015 07:54 AM

Thanks for all the help . I am just starting to look seriously at this boat and want to educate myself .

JRider 11-08-2015 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Canuck B Crazy (Post 4373712)
There is some duty to be paid. You need to do some EPA document for the boat. Then another form for the trailer. Registering at the state level, you need the two forms stamped and proof duty was paid along with a bill of sale.

The EPA and DOT forms are complicated enough, its easier to get a customs broker and well worth the extra cash to have them deal with the import.

I don't believe there is any duty bringing a boat into the states