Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know? >

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know?

Notices

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know?

Old 11-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Buying a boat in Canada and bringing back to USA....what do I need to know?

Looking at a boat in Canada. What do I need to know to get a title in Ohio? Are there any import/export or other taxes I need to know about?

Anything else I should be aware of as far as bringing it into the U.S.?
Old 11-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I just did this last Saturday, for pa all I needed was the bill of sale and proof of ownership from seller on both trailer and boat, I have to pay tax and reg fees when I reg in my state, as for export fees, can't help, seller took care of all that and meet me in new York, good luck!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Registered

Thanks I just want to make sure I don't get screwed with stupid fees or not being able to title or register the boat.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several federal government forms that need to be completed and approved by customs. Blownhammer seems to have had the seller complete that on his behalf. If it's not in order, they won't let the boat in the country. You may have already known that, but just didn't want you to get caught off guard if you weren't aware. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts

Buddy just brought a Donzi back he bought. They made a mistake and he had to travel back 4 hours to get paperwork correct on trailer. If you get any questions I am sure Joe would let you know.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

There is some duty to be paid. You need to do some EPA document for the boat. Then another form for the trailer. Registering at the state level, you need the two forms stamped and proof duty was paid along with a bill of sale.

The EPA and DOT forms are complicated enough, its easier to get a customs broker and well worth the extra cash to have them deal with the import.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did it a few weeks ago. NO DUTY OWED. From what they told me as long as it's all American/Canadian made no taxes apply. I did not pay a cent. Just make sure all your paper work is in order and bring your passport
Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Pm ajfisher. He has been there done that
Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the help . I am just starting to look seriously at this boat and want to educate myself .
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuck B Crazy
There is some duty to be paid. You need to do some EPA document for the boat. Then another form for the trailer. Registering at the state level, you need the two forms stamped and proof duty was paid along with a bill of sale.

The EPA and DOT forms are complicated enough, its easier to get a customs broker and well worth the extra cash to have them deal with the import.
I don't believe there is any duty bringing a boat into the states

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.