Notices

Building a Sleeper

Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
I don't know much about anything, but it sure seems like setting this boat up without hydraulic steering from the start would be a big mistake.
Could be sir, if my intentions were to run poker events all summer. This year (pre external steering) will be about short burst of speed, followed by a lot of head turning when backing into the dock at our favorite watering hole. In my little world here on the LKN, Power procieved is power achieved !

Put thanks for your input!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

We've been doing sort of the same thing with my 242LS... this season will be spent doing shakedowns and cruising for the most part. If I decide to keep the boat beyond the next season or two, I'll probably invest in hydraulic steering. My buddy and I have the rams already... just need the helm and lines and such. We're tired of the labor at this point.

Last fall, I ran the boat for a 30 minute cruise with a 26P Bravo. We're going to run a 28P Bravo that's been labbed by BBlades. Peak power is right at 6K, but I'm running a blower so torque is in the 600 ft lb range pretty much all the time. We're shooting for 78-80 on the top end, but really, I'm loving her cruise speed. 50 MPH at a little over 3K RPM is pretty nice.

On your boat with that power, I would expect mid 70's pretty easily. The key is to get the hull out of the water so you're not riding against the hook. On the older SS/LS boats, the hook was only on the outside portions of the hull. The keel at the transom is not hooked. Get her out of the water and she'll go! Also, I think your boat is between the 223 and 242 in terms of length. Should be easier to carry the bow so long as you're empty up there.

Very interested to see how this works out for you!

Last edited by TomZ; 03-18-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
We've been doing sort of the same thing with my 242LS... this season will be spent doing shakedowns and cruising for the most part. If I decide to keep the boat beyond the next season or two, I'll probably invest in hydraulic steering. My buddy and I have the rams already... just need the helm and lines and such. We're tired of the labor at this point.

Last fall, I ran the boat for a 30 minute cruise with a 26P Bravo. We're going to run a 28P Bravo that's been labbed by BBlades. Peak power is right at 6K, but I'm running a blower so torque is in the 600 ft lb range pretty much all the time. We're shooting for 78-80 on the top end, but really, I'm loving her cruise speed. 50 MPH at a little over 3K RPM is pretty nice.

On your boat with that power, I would expect mid 70's pretty easily. The key is to get the hull out of the water so you're not riding against the hook. On the older SS/LS boats, the hook was only on the outside portions of the hull. The keel at the transom is not hooked. Get her out of the water and she'll go! Also, I think your boat is between the 223 and 242 in terms of length. Should be easier to carry the bow so long as you're empty up there.

My 223LS loves when there is light, rippled chop on top of the river. Really opens her up!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by distantthunder
My 223LS loves when there is light, rippled chop on top of the river. Really opens her up!
Exactly!! Get the boat out of the water and she'll move pretty well.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Registered

Not sure the year of your 242, put in 1986, the 242 measures 24 '2" and weighs 4200lbs dry...The 1999 252 is 25' 2" but I'm not sure if they counted the 14" of swim platform then. Mines a bowrider and weighs in dry at 4525 A LS version is around 200 lbs heavier

I think your numbers will be close to mine when all said and done. Spoke with Brad at BBlades and we are staring off with a 28P Bravo 1 to see where we are at. He "thinks" we will end up with a 30P labed

Will post up all data when we get it wet next month.................I hope!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Registered

What are you running for trim tabs? Stock? That's what I'm working with so far. Thought about going to some 18" tabs later in year
Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered

One more question. What size engine are you running with blower?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Papasmurf
What are you running for trim tabs? Stock? That's what I'm working with so far. Thought about going to some 18" tabs later in year
Stock Bennett tabs though I think the pump is dead. I've never had them work, and I think they'd be dangerous to use at speed anyway. The only time I would have thought they were useful was when getting on plane with the 454 Mag (she would dig a pretty big hole getting up... 23P Mirage Plus). There's no need to use them with the new set-up.... she'll start planing without much of any effort.

In a crazier thought stream I thought of adding K-planes, but then reality set in. If there's a need, I'll step up to a bigger boat!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Papasmurf
One more question. What size engine are you running with blower?
454, size extra huge Dart heads, 525 EFI cam, 250 B&M blower (being rebuilt... basically bought a "craigslist new" blower off a guy on here... yes folks, I'm still harping about it). Boost should come in at 7-9 pounds and give us back the power that was left on the table (should be near 650 HP or so).

Just to note.... a local-to-me member on here had a 242 LS with a 502 crate motor/B&M 250 ran 78 on GPS... thinking our goals are attainable.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Registered

454, size extra huge Dart heads, 525 EFI cam, 250 B&M blower (being rebuilt... basically bought a "craigslist new" blower off a guy on here... yes folks, I'm still harping about it). Boost should come in at 7-9 pounds and give us back the power that was left on the table (should be near 650 HP or so).

Just to note.... a local-to-me member on here had a 242 LS with a 502 crate motor/B&M 250 ran 78 on GPS... thinking our goals are attainable.
Hopefully Wii post all data on everything Nice to see someone else on here that did similar build As you can see alot on here think im crazy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.