Notices

Building a Sleeper

Old 11-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do it...every time someone posts up a project idea like this a ton of people post up and say how bad of an idea it is and just buy another boat. If you buy another boat you could just be buying more problems. If you like the boat you have go ahead and throw some more power in it, just be reasonable in your expectations. Everyone talks about resale later but no one makes money on a boat. They are a hobby not an investment, have fun and do what makes you happy.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I know a guy who has the same 496 powered 26' bowrider as me. He added a procharger, headers, etc. and swapped the Bravo III for a Bravo IX. I believe he had somewhere around 600 hp? He was topped out at 70 due to the hull design. He had like 30K into it. But he loved the face on the Baja guys when he smoked them on the lake.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I was thinking hell no I wouldn't do that but after I saw a picture of what that boat looks like it's not a bad looking ride for a lake boat. My 2 cents, if you're happy with the boat (and can visualize yourself happy in it in the next fun run) I'd remove and sell the 330efi engine and replace it with a 454/502 Mag EFI or a 496 Mag HO.....that should get you a decent power/speed increase (relatively speaking) that won't break the bank, will help resale, and won't require hydro steering. I'm guessing that will get you into the mid 60's and will have a choppier idle than your 330hp has now.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As most have said cost can get out of hand quickly on these projects.
My thoughts are if you family likes your current boat and due to you length restrictions don't have options to step up in size.
Upgrade to an 500HP good reliable power that will not kill and standard Bravo drive. Especially on your inland lake.
Next you have to look at steering a 25 at 65-70 with your family on board will need external steering. Add on or Full Hydaulic
Your also gonna need to get anew prop to match your new setup.
Lastly if you want a piece of mind you could upgrade your drive to an "X" or "XZ".

So a quick breakdown:
1) Motor w/ exhaist $15K (One in classifieds)
2) Steering $1400-$2500 (IMCO or Mayfair)
3) Drive upgrade $4500 (All American Drive Service)
4) Prop $750-$1000 (BBlades)
Total - Around $23000 +labor if you cannot do the work yourself (approx. $2-3k)

Selling your current power will offset the labor.

This setup would put you in the 68-70mph range with no problem and be very reliable.

Last edited by CIG3; 11-10-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL A second Formula was an option, One on the lift and one on the trailer. A cherry 303 is for sale just up the road from me. 1995 model with twin 454 EFI Mags Damn thing looks like it was kept in a time capsule. Its perfect with a trailer to boot.

You know the issue 1 boat with new engine verses 2 boats with (3) 500 hour plus engines
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Registered

The 502 Mag was an option for the 252 right up until 1999 when they stopped making them
Old 11-10-2015, 12:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep your original engine/drive combo and look into a drop in 500HP, 500EFI, or 525 EFI and drive assy. Run it, enjoy and when ready to sell remove the Merc Race set-up or keep for your next project. Then put the boat back together as stock and sell. You won't lose a lot of money and it will be a fun project. Steering and big boy tabs will be a must!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered

My point

Thank you sir

Formula 252s are not your typical family bowrider. The LS and SS models are the same from the cap down

I think most on here have missed my point. EVERYONE expects a CAT or some other A typical "fast boat" to go blowing past you. But let a bowrider go screaming past ya at 70 plus and you will turn a head or too.

Every boat mentioned so far as an option has upgraded outdrives and steering, this was all discussed with my engine builder before we turned the first bolt.

I want something different, not just faster, but still user friendly. The outlay of cash issue. I layout 30K for new engine, outdrive, steering in a hull and layout I love. Sounds like a cheap solution to me ?
Old 11-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2x

Originally Posted by Papasmurf
My point

Thank you sir

Formula 252s are not your typical family bowrider. The LS and SS models are the same from the cap down

I think most on here have missed my point. EVERYONE expects a CAT or some other A typical "fast boat" to go blowing past you. But let a bowrider go screaming past ya at 70 plus and you will turn a head or too.

Every boat mentioned so far as an option has upgraded outdrives and steering, this was all discussed with my engine builder before we turned the first bolt.

I want something different, not just faster, but still user friendly. The outlay of cash issue. I layout 30K for new engine, outdrive, steering in a hull and layout I love. Sounds like a cheap solution to me ?
Old 11-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go for it. If you like the boat you have then it makes perfect sense. Also the fast bow rider is hilarious. I grew up with a 65mph maxum. I used to toy with all the single engine bajas. Have the Germans Shepard in the front and go past them at 50. Then when they take off just drop it and blow past them with only the last foot of the boat in the water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.