Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Default HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016

Smart move, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...edule-for-2016
Old 11-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, you may consider cross posting this in the Classic section also. I think Charlie may be on to something with this idea. I know for sure I would do the Florida one with one or both of mine.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a program and entry list from the 1978 Bacardi race.

When we talk about old school racing, this is what we mean. Everyone had fun and it didn't matter if you had a big boat or a small boat.
Attached Thumbnails HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-file0030.jpg   HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-file0031.jpg  
Old 11-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Registered

Kinda crazy to lump ALL step bottom boats together regardless of power or running surface. Unless I was reading it wrong then I'm sorry for my .02 I would also like to add that the Long Island race in August September would be around the same time that superboat international will be having a race in port Jefferson . Promoter is whm racing because billy lives around the corner. Also the race around Long Island would be awesome as a relay race.

Last edited by Drew555; 11-21-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
Kinda crazy to lump ALL step bottom boats together regardless of power or running surface. Unless I was reading it wrong then I'm sorry for my .02 I would also like to add that the Long Island race in August September would be around the same time that superboat international will be having a race in port Jefferson . Promoter is whm racing because billy lives around the corner. Also the race around Long Island would be awesome as a relay race.
Thanks for your input.

The whole concept of Historic Offshore Race Boats is to create a venue where a race can happen under APBa 1979 rules. There were no step bottom boats in 1979 that raced. If there is a great amount of 1991 and older step bottom entrants, we can divide up the step class based on entry. The majority of our feedback has been guys with old Magnums, Cigarettes and Apaches. This only applies to the two 100 mile races in Michigan and New York. Step bottoms of 25 yrs or older can join in on the Thunderboat Rallies at any of the four locations.

The race Around Long Island will not intefere in any way with the Superboat Race. We tried for several years to not step on anyone elses race date in the hopes of increasing our entrants for the ALI and it never worked. Even if it is on the same day, those boats race up and down the beach and we are offshore.

Same response with the relay type race. As you remember from last year, we had a lot of people who said they wanted to participate if we would only do it in a relay style,with teams. End result ZERO teams or boats actually entered.

If you have a 25 year old boat or older, you have three options for NY. One, just join us for the 50 mile cruise and have lunch with us, we would love to see your boat and hear about the history of that particular boat. Two, if you have a 25 year old boat or older, enter the 100 mile race and again join us for lunch after and tell us about your adventures during the race. Three, if you have a boat of any age and want to say that you actually raced in one of the greatest of offshore races of all time, The Around Long Island Race, come on down and enter your boat and join us for dinner and awards at the end of the day.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered

I was out in my boat off port Jefferson for the last run around Long Island . There was some big holes and blowing out of the east northeast. Everyone but that outer limits made the trip. Either way I'll be out there in some fashion
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

You should consider mid Chesapeake Bay. Maybe hook up with the ACBS and their big show at St Michaels in mid June. They always seem open to ideas and partnerships.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Default 1983 38 Cougar

I'm in for the Michigan run. All photos are the same boat. The first three are racing oversees before it came to the US.
Attached Thumbnails HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-supercat-1984-3_jpg.jpg   HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-john-player-special-1988-_jpg.jpg   HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-champagne-mumm-1987-_jpg.jpg  

HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-endangered%2520speiceis%2520hdr_zpsioskvrp1.jpg  
Old 11-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DWES
I'm in for the Michigan run. All photos are the same boat. The first three are racing oversees before it came to the US.
Does the boat have a center canopy now?

We look forward to having you join us and learning about the history of your boat. Both Brownie and Steve Curtis are on our advisory board, hopefully one of them might be able to make that event on that date. It will be quite enlightening hearing more about the history of Cougar Cats and your boat in particular.

We are trying to have other HORBA Board members at each lunch. Michael Aronow usually is in attendance for the New York event, the Around Long Island race.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
You should consider mid Chesapeake Bay. Maybe hook up with the ACBS and their big show at St Michaels in mid June. They always seem open to ideas and partnerships.
We would be happy to speak with them regarding a possible event in 2017. Right now we are going to focus on these four events for 2016.

Here is a boat that we hope will be able to attend the NY event and perhaps next year, 2017 he would go to the Chesapeake event.

47 foot Apache race boat powered by triples
Attached Thumbnails HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-engines%2520front.jpg   HORBA Sets Preliminary Rally Schedule For 2016-47-apache-new-jersey.jpg