Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Greatest boater, (to me. Dad) passed away. >

Greatest boater, (to me. Dad) passed away.

Notices

Greatest boater, (to me. Dad) passed away.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Greatest boater, (to me. Dad) passed away.

He was a great boater and to me he was the greatest. He got me into the boating world at a very young age. He thought me a lot, mostly about small runabouts back in the mid and late 60’s. But I was hooked for ever. ‘My greatest’ boater passed away this Sunday pm. After surgery of his hip he broke a couple of days ago. Came out of the OR ok, in recovery ok, but due to his frail health and deteriorated lungs he never recovered. Many of you might know that the past several years been pretty tough on me dealing with my parents health issues. Please allow me to just share this with my OSO peeps. Many of you know of me a little, a bunch met me and several of you became my good friends.
Dad had a helluva life. One of the leaders in the Hungarian revolution against the communist regime, then 3+ years in a labor/concentration camp due to his freedom fighting efforts. He bought a little wooden boat in 1964 and a small vineyard at the “Turn of the Danube”. We spent every weekend on the water and up in our little cottage. Away from the governmental influence and when he was on the river, I guess he felt some freedom. I inherited the feeling. Both Dad and I happiest on the water. In 1971 we were able to escape and settled in Rockford Il. Of course a boat was not far behind and our river rat saga and happiness started. I learned to drive a “stepped bottom” boat at the age of 8. YES… stepped bottom. (not like the ones now. ) but the concept is the same. At the time that little boat was one of the fastest floating peace of wood on the Danube. I miss that thing, as I will miss my Dad. Thank you for getting me into this crazy boating world, teaching me all the foundations of being a good boater and getting the ability to meet a bunch of other crazy boaters. Many of you are here on OSO.
The BW pic. is on the Danube circa 1968. The other is Dad and Mom on my Avanti last year. Probably Das last happy smile. Rip APU. (Dad)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548561[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548562[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Greatest boater, (to me. Dad) passed away.-boat-ride-oct-2013-015.jpg   Greatest boater, (to me. Dad) passed away.-jan-07-006.jpg  
Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

RIP. So sorry for your loss.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Great story, great loss. Miss my dad always. You're in my thoughts.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss Pete my condolences to you and your family. If you need anything at all don't hesitate to call me bud.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

My Condolences to you and your family!

Yes, your Dad sounds like a great guy and Dad, who fought for what he believed in, survived being a Prisoner of War and was all about family first and then boating. That smile on your Dad's face showed that he was extremely happy at that time, being on the boat with you and your mother, it doesn't get any better then that. The smile on his face was also because he knew that he raised a good son and he knew that he did his job, well. RIP
Old 12-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story and a great testimonial to obviously great man/father. There is no substitute, my father is my hero as im sure yours was.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great story ,im sure he is proud and smiling down on you thanks for sharing
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

I share a lot of the same in your post with my father and myself. When mine passed a lot said time will help you get over it. You never get over it you just learned how to deal with it. Celebrate his life, remember what he taught you and make him proud.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Registered

Awesome story, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

In life all great things must come to an end. Its hard and not fair but to the people we are close to and love dearly all we can hope for is that there life is long, happy and meaningful. Now I dont know you and probably will never meet you but I feel for you. As it seems your dad had all of the above, and the best part is that was all instilled in to you. Live life with no regrets and to the fullest. Sorry for your loss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.