Walker Out As Baja Marine President >

Walker Out As Baja Marine President

Notices

Walker Out As Baja Marine President

Old 12-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
and Craig Barrie has plenty of past experience building performance boats but without some new hulls/new models then they are just trying to sell history........by new models, I don't mean something with a catchy name and a stripe package.

While I know he was in with Donzi prior to the buy out. I don't think he has done much of anything for them once Liberty moved operations.

Craig pretty much just works at Statement Marine these days from my understandings.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just what it say's , there used to Founatins , Donzi, Baja ect at multiple dealerships , now there's nothing
Old 12-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

I was on the water yesterday and a mate was out in his '86 Formula 27'. Older boat but very nice. In 3 footers that thing ran beautifully. So much so it got me wondering about my next boat. Do I need a bigger boat or can I have just as much fun in something smaller?

Had a visit to the Formula website and played with the build calculator. Priced a Fast tech 292 with only a few options (the option list is huge) and it quickly priced up to 240k. Testament to the market but full credit to Formula, the calculator factors in a 20% discount straight up. After discount, the boat is still around the 200k mark for a 29' with twin 6.2s and just a few options. That's what an entry level go fast boats costs in 2016. (I know Formula are quality and are not the cheapest boats on the market)

Baja (believe what you want) have always put together a roomy comfortable boat. I think their performance is good without been amazing and their finish is decent. I think the factory should try to get this affordable brand going first. If they can produce a sub 30' boat for significantly less than a Formula or an Active Thunder, just to name two, without prejudice, then I think they've got a good chance of success. I'd love to see Fountain and Donzi back up to full production but I don't think I'd like to see a price list.

Another big factor is maintenance. You guys know, this is an expensive hobby. Anything with the word 'marine' is going to be expensive. For me, stick with simple black motors as new as possible, do routine services and accept the engine as it was designed without spending more on modifications.

Sorry for the loooong post, just my opinion.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 12-12-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
While I know he was in with Donzi prior to the buy out. I don't think he has done much of anything for them once Liberty moved operations.

Craig pretty much just works at Statement Marine these days from my understandings.

I was referring to his experience running Cigarette for many years in addition to Donzi.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Registered

you can buy a Brand new 32 foot Miami made center console with twin 300 verado's for $ 100 to $ 130 k depending on options ," nice boats with bling " So why cant someone build a boat for the same or less money in the performance arena ? "" it's called big profit "
Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by wfo1
I agree on that being a good boat for the dollar., I was referring to new "Entry level" boats. What's a new 26 outlaw go for, if any were to actually ? The new 29 AT is what, $180k? Hard pill to swallow even for a family making $250k a year.
And I know no one making that kind of money unless they are in a much higher cost of living area. Not saying people don't I just don't think most are. Seems that for most wages have been flat for a very long time (20-25 years). I know I am making about what I did in the late nineties and the COL here is much higher.

Tough market when talking entry level.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by KAOSS
Middle class is gone bro.
Sort of. Competing in a global market has changed the face of American middle class forever. Companies here have cut bonuses, raises are far below what they were a decade or two ago, heath costs have escalated and pushed back onto the worker, 401k matching contributions are going away...all this combined makes for a tougher time for families and individuals.

One more factor to consider, time. In order to compete corporations cut costs (i.e., benefits) by reducing staff and adding that work to the remaining workforce thus increasing productivity per person. It's a fact...I've never seen so many of my friends and family sooooooo stressed from financial and time pressures. I don't see a way out, used boats are key during these times but if I'm a business person, boat building is an industry I'd get nowhere near.

I think the youth aren't as interested either, tech and social media seem to take priorities these days.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
you can buy a Brand new 32 foot Miami made center console with twin 300 verado's for $ 100 to $ 130 k depending on options ," nice boats with bling " So why cant someone build a boat for the same or less money in the performance arena ? "" it's called big profit "
or big overhead.......the Miami boat is built in a small rented warehouse and the owner of the company is doing a decent amount of labor. Big boat companies have big warehouses (overhead), plenty of upper management and all that costs money. If there was "big profit" to be had, there wouldn't be so many closed up boat companies......

FYI- according to the property appraisers office, the best known offshore boat builder in the world paid 106K in annual property taxes on their factory. Think about how many boats they have to make to NET 106K just to pay the property taxes on a warehouse......what about payroll? insurance/utilities? materials? That warehouse tax bill never goes away and usually goes up. Don't sell a single boat that year.......bill is still 106K. Economy tough, banks not lending, insurance killing sales.....bill is still 106K......over 2K a week/ $400 a day forever plus all your other fixed overhead expenses!

Think about how many people perceive the profits because they went to a boat show and saw a 700K 46 ft boat. Think Mercury feels bad for the builders? Think the painters are doing work for less because the builder has high building taxes? Nope......everyone is trying to get their money and in turn the builder is stuck trying to get it from the consumers!

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 12-13-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
or big overhead.......the Miami boat is built in a small rented warehouse and the owner of the company is doing a decent amount of labor. Big boat companies have big warehouses (overhead), plenty of upper management and all that costs money. If there was "big profit" to be had, there wouldn't be so many closed up boat companies......

FYI- according to the property appraisers office, the best known offshore boat builder in the world paid 106K in annual property taxes on their factory. Think about how many boats they have to make to NET 106K just to pay the property taxes on a warehouse......what about payroll? insurance/utilities? materials? That warehouse tax bill never goes away and usually goes up. Don't sell a single boat that year.......bill is still 106K. Economy tough, banks not lending, insurance killing sales.....bill is still 106K......over 2K a week/ $400 a day forever plus all your other fixed overhead expenses!

Think about how many people perceive the profits because they went to a boat show and saw a 700K 46 ft boat. Think Mercury feels bad for the builders? Think the painters are doing work for less because the builder has high building taxes? Nope......everyone is trying to get their money and in turn the builder is stuck trying to get it from the consumers!
I hear what your saying , So instead of miami boat builder in his small warehouse building 30 boats a year , the big boy's have the ability to build 300 to 3000 boats a year , Or Another small company boat builder can build boats at a reasonable price just like the small C c builder does , the only thing different is a closed deck vs open deck , they both can run the same power and use top of the line interior and gauges , tab's ect , I just think that people would rather spend let say $ 120 k on a well optioned 32 foot Cc then spend $ 220 k on a performance boat of equal size and appearance and build quality " just my thought"
Old 12-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Registered

On a side note, I think a LOT has to do with the Name of a company that sell's the boat , People BUY or pay for the name . it could be virtually identical and someone will pay $ 100 k more for the name they think is better .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.