yamaha or seadoo

Old 12-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Good point. ^^^^^^^^
Old 12-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't owned a ski, but several jet boats from both. Yamaha hands down fit and finish with reliability. Sea Doo's are fast, but struggled in the other areas. I was really disappointed when they stopped putting Merc's in them.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about Kawasaki? IMO most reliable and stable ski I have ridden. Plus they have 310hp!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had good luck with my Seadoo RXP and RXP-x, the Yamahas seem to have raised the bar lately and appear to be a drier ride in rougher water cant speak to the newest seadoos with the suspension as I have not ridden one yet.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
had good luck with my Seadoo RXP and RXP-x, the Yamahas seem to have raised the bar lately and appear to be a drier ride in rougher water cant speak to the newest seadoos with the suspension as I have not ridden one yet.
Who rides a jetski to stay dry, my last two are flipper and flipper11, of course l wait till no one is around then go out and see how long I can hang on . Got to love the older rxps!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Rentals are always Yamahas though I thought for sure that new cheap Sea Doo Spark would change that. Spark is a deal except it is not fast and has a small fuel tank. I have always bought used Yamahas (though my last two were 2000 XLT1200/2001 XLT800). Bought and rode them for a season and sold them for exactly what I paid for them, think I lost a couple hundred on the trailer though (each came with a single and I sold them both and bought a new tandem).

I rode a newer SC Yamaha a few months ago......whew stupid fast and very thirsty! I do like the way the Yamahas ride and land, Seadoos feel like they are popping wheelies to me but they do handle sharper.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buck35
Who rides a jetski to stay dry, my last two are flipper and flipper11, of course l wait till no one is around then go out and see how long I can hang on . Got to love the older rxps!
I am talking about a 16 mile run across Galveston/Trinity Bay as part of a 65 mile round trip that we make. In 1 footers a face full of water every couple of seconds gets old and it's hard to see, goggles and glasses don't work well . The Yamahas seem to handle it better throwing most of the spray to the sides
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I am talking about a 16 mile run across Galveston/Trinity Bay as part of a 65 mile round trip that we make. In 1 footers a face full of water every couple of seconds gets old and it's hard to see, goggles and glasses don't work well . The Yamahas seem to handle it better throwing most of the spray to the sides
Gotcha, been there and done that, no fun! Wife's newer one rides fairly dry and a friend has one of the suspension models
Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

We have (2) 07 SEADOO GTX Limited Supercharged GPS models and they have never had any problems. We've put a whole 6 hrs on them in 5 years, clocks are at 49hrs. We have owned many of the older SeaDoo 2 Strokers and had good luck too. Our neighbors bought 2 new Yamahas last year and they seem nice fit and finish. The style of the Yamaha just doesn't really do it for me, doesn't mean they aren't good skis though. There's a young guy that rides by our house with a new Kawasaki and the thing looks like its flying. I dont think you can really go wrong with any of the new(er) stuff. Love it when a jet ski gang pulls next to the boat and wants to race, the look on their faces concentrating to get the last mph and holding on for dear life at the same time is priceless as you go on by in your boat with radio thumping and everyone aboard waving! I paced a newer Kawasaki at 71 and then let him watch the transom disappear. They get used to beating up on regular boaters and need to be checked back to reality once in awhile.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The problem child Yamaha Jetski to stay away from is the FX Cruiser High Output and the FX High output these are SC engines. The years that i know 4 sure are 2004 and 2005 but might be 2003 thru 2006. I know first hand because many of my boat customers has jetskis that I have to service as well. This model and year 2004 and 2005 is what i have seen with engine failures that are more than just one here and there. The reman longblocks are very expensive for the replacement as well.

I know the same models 2007 and up is alot more reliable or maybe 2006.5 year model and up.

Yamaha's quality is alot better than Sea Doo's especially for the jetboat end. Like I said Sea Doo has a electrical issues and ECM failures. I have been all thru the sea doo jetboats when they were in business and they are average at best if even that. I understand we are talking about jetskis here. Same engines and basically all the same wiring / connections for both apps..

Last edited by BUP; 12-15-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.