Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
Maybe they will just sell the ship and smokin gun will buy it
If that's the case, let's hope the trailer is set up correctly
Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I was a Gas Turbine Tech in the Navy - even pre-commished a cruiser at Bath Iron Works where this ship was built.

What shut this ship down was the most feared casualty to the main propulsion system that can happen: FUD (Fuk... Up Debris) in the main Reduction Gear Lube Oil System. The snipe on watch probably discovered it when he was cleaning the lube oil purifier soon after the ship got underway - a task I did so many times while I was in watch in the engine room. Not sure if the reduction gear locked up or if they just kept finding shavings and shut it down before the inevitable.

The main reduction gear is kept under lock and key because it would be so easy to incapacitate the ship by throwing something in there and in 99% of cases if something does go wrong with the reduction gear it's beyond the capacity of the ships personal to fix it. That's a job for the shipyard and the boys at Western Gear. http://youtu.be/YLQW2QJ_fzQ
Originally Posted by Questofpower
Me too cleaned that thing countless times, always on the mid watch. I was a GSE on a FFG and I completely agree that it has to be a Main Reduction Gear failure it's the only thing that makes sense.

Looking back these ships are really quite impressive GE LM2500'S 20,000 -25,000 hp Gas Turbines depending on the ship that they are on. The main reduction gear is almost a work of art 9ft bull gear, double helical double reduction, 3600RPM input 200RPM output tolerances measured in the thousands of an inch. Pretty neat.
Ah yes. Even an old MM like me can remember cleaning all those discs.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by vindicator101
Ah yes. Even an old MM like me can remember cleaning all those discs.
Yep, the good ole De Laval Lube oil purifier - had to clean every one of those dam 32 disks .

Small world Questofpower. I was a GSM5 on the Stark, FFG 31. I got off of her right before she geared up for her deployment to the Gulf in 87 and was struck by that Iraqi plane. The week I got out of the Navy all of the Flags were at half mast in honor of the 37 sailors lost in that attack. I had been off her for 9 months but I knew over half of the sailors that were lost. The ones that lived went thru hell keeping that ship afloat and then were treated like **** by the Navy because I guess they somehow blamed them for letting her get hit.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I'll bet it had something to do with operating in salt water. Would never have happened if they'd have stuck to the lakes.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Its already on Facebook Powerboat SwapShop being parted out.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Questofpower
Me too cleaned that thing countless times, always on the mid watch. I was a GSE on a FFG and I completely agree that it has to be a Main Reduction Gear failure it's the only thing that makes sense.

Looking back these ships are really quite impressive GE LM2500'S 20,000 -25,000 hp Gas Turbines depending on the ship that they are on. The main reduction gear is almost a work of art 9ft bull gear, double helical double reduction, 3600RPM input 200RPM output tolerances measured in the thousands of an inch. Pretty neat.
That's me 30 years ago between the LM 2500's on station while going through the Panama Canal Seems like another lifetime. Wish I could go back to those times and do a couple more days at seas then one more port of call with the gang.
Attached Thumbnails what went wrong ?-img.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Thank you for your service ^^^^^^
Old 12-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Its already on Facebook Powerboat SwapShop being parted out.
I'll anxiously await the upcoming threads "I don't have a manual, why won't my gas turbine engine run?" and of course, in the Beware and Stolen section "US Government robbed me on parts deal!!!"
Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Yep, the good ole De Laval Lube oil purifier - had to clean every one of those dam 32 disks .

Small world Questofpower. I was a GSM5 on the Stark, FFG 31. I got off of her right before she geared up for her deployment to the Gulf in 87 and was struck by that Iraqi plane. The week I got out of the Navy all of the Flags were at half mast in honor of the 37 sailors lost in that attack. I had been off her for 9 months but I knew over half of the sailors that were lost. The ones that lived went thru hell keeping that ship afloat and then were treated like **** by the Navy because I guess they somehow blamed them for letting her get hit.
I was in the gulf on deployment when that happened or right after if I rmemeber correctly, didnt they have some aegis weapon defense radar that wasnt on? I remember the first missle that hit it didnt explode then second one did. The captain got recomended fo court martial for allegedly being a derelict but knowing the Navy like I do he was most likely a scape goat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.