Notices

Nitrogen at home

Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitrogen at home

Have a few vehicles running nitrogen in the tires, thinking of rigging a nitrogen cylinder at home to keep tire pressures topped off instead of having to stop by the tire store with weather changes, etc. The BMW dealership here in Vegas claims they don't have it available in their service department. Anyone else who has done this or that can recommend a safe way to regulate the supply line and inflator?
Old 12-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do what Hvac technician's do. You buy a jug once then pay for refills. You get a regulator and then a 1/4" refrigeration hose. Put a 1/4" service fitting on a air Chuck and you are good to go. All of which are easy to get. Grainger should be able to get the hose, regulator, and fittings needed.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Shouldn't be hard, we use the large nitrogen tanks (look like home gas welding O2 tanks) on our systems. Most have a 580 (I think) fitting on it that we put a regulator on and hook your hose up. Tanks full are 2000psi.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Nitrogen in tires : snake oil
Old 12-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Like has been said, just go to airgas etc and get a bottle. ILet me look when I get home from work, I may have a nitrogen regulator laying around that didnt go high enough (over 200 psi) from when I was rebuilding shocks. If I still have it its yours. that will save you a few bucks. Though honestly there really isnt much reason to run nitrogen in passenger car tires. something like Nascar where you want a consistant inflation/diameter sure (nitrogen is much more thermically stable i.e. wont expand as tire gets warm).
Old 12-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

What's the advantage of nitrogen over air!!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Though honestly there really isnt much reason to run nitrogen in passenger car tires. something like Nascar where you want a consistant inflation/diameter sure (nitrogen is much more thermically stable i.e. wont expand as tire gets warm).
Not exactly NASCAR, but next best thing. Competition package with 575 hp twin turbo. Also have extremely variable temperatures here in Vegas. Tires don't last long in this environment. I've seen temperature swings as much as 60* from day to night. Air temps as high as 116* at the dock make for some pretty hot roads and tire temps on the nearly hour-long tow getting to Lake Mead, two hours and even hotter temps getting down to Havasu.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549132[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]549133[/ATTACH]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaCuriPnv4Y
Attached Thumbnails Nitrogen at home-m5-1.jpeg   Nitrogen at home-m5-2.jpeg  

Last edited by RedDog382; 12-23-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
What's the advantage of nitrogen over air!!!!
Larger more heat-stable molecule. Less seepage thru tire wall and bead. More consistent pressures making for improved tire wear and safety in extreme environments (from everything I have read).
Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Larger more heat-stable molecule. Less seepage thru tire wall and bead. More consistent pressures making for improved tire wear and safety in extreme environments (from everything I have read).
Hey Chris, hope all is well. One of the biggest benefit ofnit is that it wont hold moisture and rot the tires from the inside out. Ever let air out of a tire and it stinks to high heaven, thats the rhbber decomposing from the heat cycle with reg air.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Hey Chris, hope all is well. One of the biggest benefit ofnit is that it wont hold moisture and rot the tires from the inside out. Ever let air out of a tire and it stinks to high heaven, thats the rhbber decomposing from the heat cycle with reg air.
Wouldn't the tire just wear out before that was ever a concern? Driven hundreds of thousands of miles and decomposition from the inside never was an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.