Offshore raace hatches with gas struts >

Offshore raace hatches with gas struts

Notices

Offshore raace hatches with gas struts

Old 01-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offshore raace hatches with gas struts

Does anyone have pics of a set up with offshore side by side engine race hatches that use Gas Struts? Trying to decide which way to go with our engine hatches
Old 01-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Gas struts work great with our large heavy hatch. Sorry not exactly what you are looking for but I am sure you can make something work good.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Gas struts work great with our large heavy hatch. Sorry not exactly what you are looking for but I am sure you can make something work good.

Thanks for,the note. Trying to get a visual on someone's set up
Old 01-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Registered

I took off the electric actuator and added gas struts to both sides. I screwed 3"x2" angle aluminum 10" long to both sides of the hatch and through bolted the lower end to the inside of the engine compartment (stainless washers inside and out to add strength) and I am a happy clam. I have never been a fan of the electric hatches, nothing I hate more than sitting and holding the switch while it taaaakkkkeeees forever (10 seconds) for the hatch to open. Now it is a 2 second deal. The struts costs much less than your going to be able to sell the system your taking off. The only problem is what are you going to do with the spare switch?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We gave up on gas struts and went to the spring type. Much cleaner, less intrusive and more secure.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
We gave up on gas struts and went to the spring type. Much cleaner, less intrusive and more secure.
Ben? Please explain what you mean by spring type (got a brand or a link?)

Mike
Old 01-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been looking into this also

there are struts available that have a locking sleeve to lock it in the up position -- nice option. Or there are struts the have a remote release button so it can be held in any position...

Ben are you referring to the old Cig style spring that you bend in the middle to get it to close and when its' open it is somewhat solid and straight? they used them on the Mistress cuddy entrance hatch...That seems very simple and effective...

I'm assuming locking pins are a must -- would you need them at both end of the hatches? or can you get away with a set just behind the rear seat so they are easy to reach?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Correct Craft's 230 and G series Nautiques with the transom walk through have the simplest arrangements for gas shocks...corner bracket on hatch and on the sill of the engine compartment opening where the struts are mounted to (one on each side of the hatch). I did a quick search for a pic but couldn't locate a clear example

Word to the wise.. go with much heavier (lbs) struts than what you think will suffice - you will be happier in the long run
Old 01-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by delsol
I've been looking into this also

there are struts available that have a locking sleeve to lock it in the up position -- nice option. Or there are struts the have a remote release button so it can be held in any position...

Ben are you referring to the old Cig style spring that you bend in the middle to get it to close and when its' open it is somewhat solid and straight? they used them on the Mistress cuddy entrance hatch...That seems very simple and effective...

I'm assuming locking pins are a must -- would you need them at both end of the hatches? or can you get away with a set just behind the rear seat so they are easy to reach?
We use the springs at the rear of the hatches with no locking device. We considered mounting them in the front but they were going to limit access and constantly be in the way. The hydraulic hinges were going to be too much work.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by boating4me
Ben? Please explain what you mean by spring type (got a brand or a link?)

Mike
http://www.go2marine.com/product/986...ch-holder.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.