Notices

single or dual ram steering?

Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 PM
ben
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default single or dual ram steering?

Hi all,
Putting hydraulic steering on my boat this winter and I'm looking for opinions on single/dual ram setups. Boat is a 1992 challenger SV24 with a 525hp motor and bravo outdrive. Is there any advantage to having a dual ram setup over a single on a boat like mine? I'd rather not spend the extra money if there's no advantage.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

IMO dual is the best choice for obvious reasons but it is always easy to spend someone else's money.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

I run a single IMCO system on my latest 26 footer and works perfect cant tell if it has a single ram or twin when driving it.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ it doesn't turn one way quicker than the other?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 AM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

no.
With dual rams, if you break the gimbal, you have a better chance of the drive not rotating to one side and flipping the boat before you can get it slowed down. I don't think you will see a race boat with single ram.
I use a single ram full hyd. on my 22, works perfectly (was rigged by Archer Marine).
Old 01-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ben, I always recommend a dual ram system. Not to try to up sell you, but it balances the rams fluid transfer. As one ram pulls, the other pushes and is easy on your power steering reservoir. Like SFOcean says, with dual rams you supporting the drive from both sides. Note: with most current name brand kits, you can start with a single ram kit and add the additional later, but will end up slightly more $$.

You should also look into a few other things. I would definitely recommend to change your inside steering cable kit if it has some play and also look into the condition of your gimbal assembly. You need to make sure the tolerances are good for all the support and pivot pins ans bushings (it is pointless to add an add-on steering kit to a boat that needs other work). You can't fix a older tired steering problem by adding steering rams..

-Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
661-295-7000
www.teaguecustommarine.com
Old 01-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Dual ram...
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 PM
ben
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by teaguecustommarine
Ben, I always recommend a dual ram system. Not to try to up sell you, but it balances the rams fluid transfer. As one ram pulls, the other pushes and is easy on your power steering reservoir. Like SFOcean says, with dual rams you supporting the drive from both sides. Note: with most current name brand kits, you can start with a single ram kit and add the additional later, but will end up slightly more $$.

You should also look into a few other things. I would definitely recommend to change your inside steering cable kit if it has some play and also look into the condition of your gimbal assembly. You need to make sure the tolerances are good for all the support and pivot pins ans bushings (it is pointless to add an add-on steering kit to a boat that needs other work). You can't fix a older tired steering problem by adding steering rams..

-Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
661-295-7000
Thanks for the info, looks like I might as well go dual ram. Everything else is in good shape.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem Ben! On, that note, we can offer the best pricing for IMCO steering systems.

If you have any questions feel free to give me a call!

-Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
611-295-7000
Old 01-15-2016, 11:23 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lathem Marine - if you want the best !