Notices

termites

Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default termites

any one knows what to do to avoid termites to come into a boat?
i am starting the restoration on top banana what will take a long time,there is still a lot of unprotected plywood in the hull,i had termite problems before was wondering if there is any kind of protection to keep them out?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Get an aardvark
Old 01-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

build it with Coosa . . .

Actually just make sure everything is completely encapsulated.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Boric Acid is a decent repellant. Though the termite must come in contact with it to be fully affective. Might work to spray around the perimeter of the boat once a month and on the cradle as a preventative.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

I just cringed when I read the title..
Old 01-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

38banana,

# 1 keep the wood dry, it is my understanding termites (and carpenter ants, worse than termites) will only go after wet/damp wood. For them to survive they need a moisture source.

# 2 Termites need sheltered access up to your boat hull. They can't survive in open air conditions so they create tunnels behind things like stucco,rigid foam insulation, siding etc to gain access to the wet/damp wood food source.

#3, 4,,5, 6....... Keep the wood DRY and you shouldn't have an issue with termites or rot (which is more likely).

Cheers,

Dave
Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

termidor sc kills termites
Old 01-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Couple of ideas you can buy easily in Thailand but no guarantees. (There never are in Thailand)

First is a 'chalk' you scratch on the ground and make a line around the area. Not sure about termites but many varieties of ants walk to the poisonous line and die quickly. The girlfriends family uses it up in her jungle and it works a treat, but as I say, this one may only be for ants.

The spray can is called "Art" and they say on the can it will kill termites. Don't have termites so I haven't been able to prove if it works but it might be a very simple and cheap solution. I don't know of any more industrial type solutions to the problem. Good luck!

RR

P.S. Looks like my iPad has turned a few photos upside down, as if Thai script isn't hard enough already!
Attached Thumbnails termites-image.jpg   termites-image.jpg   termites-image.jpg  

termites-image.jpg   termites-image.jpg  

Last edited by rak rua; 01-14-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
38banana,

# 1 keep the wood dry, it is my understanding termites (and carpenter ants, worse than termites) will only go after wet/damp wood. For them to survive they need a moisture source.

# 2 Termites need sheltered access up to your boat hull. They can't survive in open air conditions so they create tunnels behind things like stucco,rigid foam insulation, siding etc to gain access to the wet/damp wood food source.

#3, 4,,5, 6....... Keep the wood DRY and you shouldn't have an issue with termites or rot (which is more likely).

Cheers,

Dave
thanks dave !
Old 01-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Couple of ideas you can buy easily in Thailand but no guarantees. (There never are in Thailand)

First is a 'chalk' you scratch on the ground and make a line around the area. Not sure about termites but many varieties of ants walk to the poisonous line and die quickly. The girlfriends family uses it up in her jungle and it works a treat, but as I say, this one may only be for ants.

The spray can is called "Art" and they say on the can it will kill termites. Don't have termites so I haven't been able to prove if it works but it might be a very simple and cheap solution. I don't know of any more industrial type solutions to the problem. Good luck!

RR

P.S. Looks like my iPad has turned a few photos upside down, as if Thai script isn't hard enough already!
hi thanks for the reply,the chalk is effective but i have dogs so can not do that i think like 78cig24 recommend is the best way ,i
had some termites in a boat before believe me that stays with you ! my transom looked like a piece of art there were only 4 thin walls of fiber left you could even with a microscope not find plywood any more. they go in any hole or crack they can find in the fiber and they do damage so quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.