Wilson Blueprints Mercury Verado 400R Outboards For Grant’s Signature Racing >

Wilson Blueprints Mercury Verado 400R Outboards For Grant’s Signature Racing

Notices

Wilson Blueprints Mercury Verado 400R Outboards For Grant’s Signature Racing

Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Default Wilson Blueprints Mercury Verado 400R Outboards For Grant’s Signature Racing

Seeking all the performance possible from Mercury Racing Verado 400R outboards, Grant's Signature Racing turned to Wilson Custom Marine, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...gnature-racing

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 01-26-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:18 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Worth noting: As I suspected but needed to confirm, sources inside Mercury Racing have confirmed that modifications to the Verado 400R outboard gearcase/lower unit will void the manufacturer's warranty. Not good, not bad, just a data point to be aware of—one that has been added to the initial article as an editor's note.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Worth noting: As I suspected but needed to confirm, sources inside Mercury Racing have confirmed that modifications to the Verado 400R outboard gearcase/lower unit will void the manufacturer's warranty. Not good, not bad, just a data point to be aware of—one that has been added to the initial article as an editor's note.
Too bad warranty's are like that but it's how Merc protect's itself...as the mod's have void the coverage, maybe Dustin can get involved and jump sart the ECM remapping technology to the 400 Verado's as Whipple has done with the smaller Verado's..

Good writeup / coverage as always Matt!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If Mercury was smart they would offer this as an option, there is clearly a market for it. What warranty is voided? The entire engine? if so that is crazy, I hope it is only things they could say the gear case modification caused.

So how fast does this boat run now?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Too bad warranty's are like that but it's how Merc protect's itself...as the mod's have void the coverage, maybe Dustin can get involved and jump sart the ECM remapping technology to the 400 Verado's as Whipple has done with the smaller Verado's..

Good writeup / coverage as always Matt!
I agree I wonder what kind of power these things could make with race gas and a proper tune.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I agree I wonder what kind of power these things could make with race gas and a proper tune.
Thats next years Verado 450 hp and then the following year will be the Verado 500 hp Just need's more BOOST
Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

For Mercury to say it would void the warranty when all they did was true up something that was not perfect in casting is BS. Especially if they did not touch the water ramps/intake of the lower unit.
If I had a set and blew a powerhead I would expect them to fix it or I would be headed to court.
This mod was done by a professional not someone in a garage. Wilson has been doing Mercury drives for many years and all of the race boats on the circuit have them done as well. Some of the new ones being installed get blueprinted before the boat ever hits the water.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
For Mercury to say it would void the warranty when all they did was true up something that was not perfect in casting is BS. Especially if they did not touch the water ramps/intake of the lower unit.
If I had a set and blew a powerhead I would expect them to fix it or I would be headed to court.
This mod was done by a professional not someone in a garage. Wilson has been doing Mercury drives for many years and all of the race boats on the circuit have them done as well. Some of the new ones being installed get blueprinted before the boat ever hits the water.
Sounds like a good reason to have two sets of lowers.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
by definition, a warranty only covers a defect in materials and/or workmanship - no more......that said, a truly professional shop such as Wilson that has the EXPEREINCE and track record for exacting results should not influence a warranty on an overall package in MYHO. Just limited to replacing a case if a crack appeared.

But, in order to protect themselves from the all knowing hack's that "think" they know how to properly mod a component, you will probably find yourself under the blanket of everything VOID of coverage. Personally, I would have sent the gear cases to Wilson, the same as the owner did here.... the skeg's are thick and could use improvement on the leading edge
Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It;'s kinda of like putting mags and tires on a car and Ford says the warranty is void on your Mustang.
Their stand would never hold up in court for something like this unless the case cracked or something I would agree.
Personally if what Wilson did worked mother Mercury should implement changes for a better product. JMO.
The 400r needs all the help it can get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.