Notices

Purchasing in Europe.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Purchasing in Europe.

Interested to hear from anyone who has purchased a boat overseas and had it shipped back to the US. Looking to learn about the experience good and bad.

Last edited by drypipetiger; 02-02-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought 3 boats, 1 from finland, 2 from Sweden. The people over there were great to deal with. US customs and border patrol were a nightmare. Based on my experience- do not ship the boat on a trailer, they will claim it doesn't meet US DOT standards (although they can't produce any written standards) and demand that it be destroyed or shipped back. - any wood used in shipping (dunnage, blocking, etc) must be specially treated and stamped.- Be very careful of engines and if they are EPA approved.
Any issue will delay completing the shipment, which will trigger demurrage fees. They do not care about the costs involved.

I won't be importing anymore boats.......
Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Or agree on the price including shipping, put the money in escrow, and tell the seller that when the boat is here, free and clear, you will take delivery. So, at that point you have put all the money up, but it is their headache.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Use a very good broker and let them take care of all the headaches. They'll need to source an export company also. You'll need an importing agent at the receiving end too and they must communicate with the broker and the export company.

Getting a boat out of the U.S. and over to Thailand is a nightmare, could never have done it without an experienced broker. Different obstacles from America to Thailand but I think the basics of crossing your T's and dotting your I's still apply for Europe to America.

Unfortunately, everyone will want their pound of flesh and that's not going to help your overall cost but it would take a brave guy to risk cutting corners and trying too hard to save money.

Good luck if you decide to pursue something!

RR
Old 02-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
Interested to hear from anyone who has purchased a boat overseas and had it shipped back to the US. Looking to learn about the experience good and bad.
Take the advise from Keith (kb5050) he has done it many time getting his Argo cats to our side of the pond.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SkaterMike82
Take the advise from Keith (kb5050) he has done it many time getting his Argo cats to our side of the pond.
If Im right this is a american build boat ( the orange nortech )whit mercruiser engines so might be easier as a european build boat
I was 2 weeks ago and have looked at it its a very nice really cool color that you cant see on the picture
Old 02-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

You wont get the engines to pass EPA regulations, the hassle will be unbelievable, far easier to just buy a US boat.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
You wont get the engines to pass EPA regulations, the hassle will be unbelievable, far easier to just buy a US boat.
If the boat and engines are manufactured in the US and shipped overseas and then brought back, it would be a problem?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Not worth all the aggravation unless the boat is really cheap, if so get a broker to take care of the whole process it might just save your sanity.

http://www.epa.gov/sites/production/.../420b11015.pdf
Old 02-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
If the boat and engines are manufactured in the US and shipped overseas and then brought back, it would be a problem?
I don't see how it could be but who knows.... might be worth a phone call to the EPA to make sure.