Notices

Bottom Paint?

Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bottom Paint?

Morning all, Looking for some input relative to bottom paint, or rather options to it. Planning on a slip in fresh / brackish water. I don't want to paint, but have not heard much good about "voodoo waxes" that are supposed to work. Any positive experiences with alternative products? I am not looking forward to a haul out and scrub every other weekend!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

If you bottom paint it plan to own it for the rest of your natural life.....

I would figure out a way to get it on a lift. If it's a slip their are plenty of used hydrohoists out there for cheap. I know it always sucks to spend more money on top of the cost of the boat, but you'll spend less on a lift than you will lose on resale with a painted boat
Old 02-14-2016, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boat stays docked all summer also, I pull it out 2-3 times to clean it and check over, no way I'm painting it. Bottom paint is not maintenance free either, needs to be freshened up every couple of years also. Makes it much harder to sell.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It will be easier to pull it every three weeks and clean it, as said before don't paint it. Or just keep it on the trailer and put it in and out every time. I assume you'll be running it in the ocean, Portsmouth or south of there?
Old 02-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to leave my boat in the water for 3 season's do to not being able to find a lift close to my and unexpected motor costs that took all my money lol. I ended up with some blisters that now needs to be fixed but bottom paint was never really an option. To have the bottom done would have been around the cost I played for my used lift. And don't need to be redone or touched up every 3/4 years. I got my lift for 3k I believe it was
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Over the years I have tried just about all the miracle products that would/could prevent fresh water bottom fouling and none worked. One product actually worsened the fouling and West Marine laid via law suit to remove it from the hull. Finally I had an epoxy barrier coat painted on the bottom and it is way easier to clean and fouls less.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys, Maybe I was not clear but absolutely won't paint it. So, all the speed wax, and special coatings as I thought are B S, looks like I am looking for a hoist. Big boat big problems, but still motivated!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

You could go for c-Quartz finest. That should take care of it.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't against the law in all 50 states to bottom paint a Cigarette ??.

Get a hoist slip at your marina is worth the extra for those reasons stated.

And I have found that the company BIOKLEEN Makes some incredible cleaners and waxes. http://www.biokleen.com/boat-cleaner
Old 02-15-2016, 04:28 AM
Registered

After carefully reviewing Cigarette owner requirements I have discovered that it IS a crime in all 50 states to bottom paint any Cigarette! As stated, I would never bottom paint for all the reasons given above, just wanted some alternatives. Thanks to all for posting, I will check out C-quartz finest and the other coating options from Biokleen and figure it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.