Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Purchasing From A Member - How To Pay? >

Purchasing From A Member - How To Pay?

Notices

Purchasing From A Member - How To Pay?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Purchasing From A Member - How To Pay?

I'm considering purchasing some parts from a member on here. Not sure how to go about it. Best way to pay and also ensure that I get my parts and that they will be as represented when they arrive. I have no reason to distrust the seller but on the other hand I've been on this site for quite a while and have seen a lot of shady characters to say the least!

The selling price isn't huge (under $4K) but large enough that I wouldn't want to take a hit on it. Want to make sure both parties are protected.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The only way to be completely (well as close as possible) safe is to drive up and knock on his door. I have bought everything from entire motors to nuts and bolts off OSO using paypal and never had a problem. Yeah you see the 457 page thread of a deal gone wrong, but nobody is going to make a 36 page thread of a deal gone right. I suspect there are a few deals that go right off here on a daily basis vs 3 or 4 drawn out 457 page circle the wagons clusterphuck deals that go bad a year...

I think you have a better chance of getting royally screwed by the used car lot down the street....
Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Never had a problem, transaction with pictures, and PayPal. Most honest. If deal is to good to be true, then I might worry a little. Might see if 3rd party oso member in area can check on it for ya
Old 02-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
The only way to be completely (well as close as possible) safe is to drive up and knock on his door. I have bought everything from entire motors to nuts and bolts off OSO using paypal and never had a problem. Yeah you see the 457 page thread of a deal gone wrong, but nobody is going to make a 36 page thread of a deal gone right. I suspect there are a few deals that go right off here on a daily basis vs 3 or 4 drawn out 457 page circle the wagons clusterphuck deals that go bad a year...

I think you have a better chance of getting royally screwed by the used car lot down the street....
+1 on PayPal
Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 PayPal
Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Have them sent COD and if they aren't as represented then don't accept them. You would only be out the cost of the shipping.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paypal, but don't use the friends/family option to save the seller a couple of bucks. You loose all buyers protection.

Is the seller a trusted and longtime upstanding member? That alone would be enough for me.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

I think you should send half to Chris Sunkin and half to Jeff Farquharson. Then hire the mechanic from Alabama to go look at the parts, so the Fountain owner from California can keep the deposit if the parts are no good. Once you are ready to ship, have Big Chubby just toss them on his next load and he can drop the parts at Dewberry so Shooter "Sloanaker" can build you a 1000 HP engine that runs on 5 cylinders and pump gas!

When you need a new hull for that 1000 HP beast, have the boys at Frisini lay one up for you and OreGONE Custom Marine can handle the transaction for you!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think you should send half to Chris Sunkin and half to Jeff Farquharson. Then hire the mechanic from Alabama to go look at the parts, so the Fountain owner from California can keep the deposit if the parts are no good. Once you are ready to ship, have Big Chubby just toss them on his next load and he can drop the parts at Dewberry so Shooter "Sloanaker" can build you a 1000 HP engine that runs on 5 cylinders and pump gas!

When you need a new hull for that 1000 HP beast, have the boys at Frisini lay one up for you and OreGONE Custom Marine can handle the transaction for you!
Who is financing this mess?? Hionas?

Just today I bought stuff from a member I have never done business with on an item he listed for sale on a post.... Didnt think twice about paypaling him money. If you recognize the name and he has been a member for a while there usually isnt a problem, if he joined yesterday and wants you to western union 15 grand for a blower motor sight unseen... there may be an issue...

Last edited by phragle; 02-15-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i buy off this site quite a bit. i prefer paypal but have also sent usps money orders. ive also had guys just send me parts, if i liked them then i sent a check, if not i returned them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.