SCX on IMCO Transom assy or ITS

Notices

SCX on IMCO Transom assy or ITS

Old 03-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SCX on IMCO Transom assy or ITS

So I wanna run an SCX on a 800-1000hp single . My first choice is to use an ITS strictly because of how clean they look assuming the SCX helmet does fit in an ITS assembly . My second option is to use the IMCO transom assembly . Not as clean but still doesn't require anymore holes in the transom . Whats your thoughts ?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

don,t take this to the bank but i think the scx helmit will fit on the its transom assembly.i bet if you call imco they have the answer.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
So I wanna run an SCX on a 800-1000hp single . My first choice is to use an ITS strictly because of how clean they look assuming the SCX helmet does fit in an ITS assembly . My second option is to use the IMCO transom assembly . Not as clean but still doesn't require anymore holes in the transom . Whats your thoughts ?
My SCX drives appear to fit right up to the Mercury transom assemblies.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

You can do either, with the helmet chnage it will fit on both. Check the gimble ring though, the imco hp gimble ring is much beefier than the merc one. If you get a used its, its worth the extra $$ for that piece of mind.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ITS does look clean, but it isn't as effective as an actual extension box. So really, you'd be putting it on just for looks. IMCO does make an SCX helmet for the ITS. If you want an extension box, put an IMCO on. I would do the IMCO transom assembly with the steering rams built in because it uses beefier parts than the mercury. I think the ITS on a single actually looks too clean, almost naked. Just my .02
Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea I already have the SCX helmet that I was going to use in an HP assembly . Hopefully it's the same the ITS takes . I'll call imco to verify i guess. I know the ITS is 6" of extension verse the 12" of the IMCO but I don't think I'm gonna need that extra . And yes if I go with the ITS it will be a new unit so I'll be the first to abuse it .
I get what your saying about too clean but that is going to go perfect with the clean minimalist style I'm trying to achieve with this boat build .

So far If ITS is used go with new or upgraded ring . IMCO is stronger and box is longer but not as clean . And SCX helmet should work in ITS .
Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

As i said, the helmet for the scx will bolt straight in on an its, but consider the additional weight of the drive on the gimble ring. the imco ring is heavier and will support the drive better. ITS boxes are an 7 inch set back and the additional helmet and scx upper will add an inch as well for a total of 8.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 03-07-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Call IMCO and talk to Fred, but if I remember correctly the heavy duty gimble ring from IMCO won't fit on the ITS system. If your ring is a little questionable then I think you'll have to get a replacement from Merc.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OSD is right - You can run an SCX with a helmet change.

I run an ITS's on both my 21 and my 27, no doubt they are rock solid pieces - thing is here - they are theoretically built to handle 600HP.

You are theoretically way over the ITS 's rating, but no doubt its a solid piece.

The whole imco kit would be more stout, but for sure uglier.

UD
Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the helmet for the ITS is different than the helmet for a standard transom assembly. They have different part numbers. But call and ask IMCO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.