Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Goodwin power looking good (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/335232-goodwin-power-looking-good.html)

Nate5.0 03-07-2016 03:12 PM

Goodwin power looking good

http://www.powerboatnat*on.com/goodw...with-pump-gas/

The next*Goodwin*Powered*Skater*is coming and the real performance results of the last one owned by Mr Bill Pyburn have been kept pretty close while some modifications and other testing was done. BUT NOW Powerboat Nation has the exclusive results: The Pyburn Pure Platinum 388 SKATER ran 197 MPH at 70% throttle last April… Yep almost a year ago. I know in your brain you are asking why all the cloak and dagger secrecy.* The answer is simple… Continued pursuit of consistent perfection. Many people can put big power in a 388 SKATER and it will run fast on race gas and then need a month of wrenching.* The Goodwin Competition Engines don’t need anything other than great engine management​.​

​The Goodwin’s going into Chris Bradley’s 388 soon to be finished Skater will sport a brand new completely proprietary engine management system with features ignited and requested by Goodwin Competition in collaboration with*AEM.​ The technology AEM brings to the big horsepower engines is leap and bounds ahead of the previously used systems. These systems are on many of Goodwin’s World Champion Off Road and Automotive race teams with huge success

FACTS from Bill Pyburn:* “I have had my boat in the mid 190’s numerous times” Running 93 Pump Gas with 11 lbs of boost, running 6800, on a 40″ pitch, we have seen, 195 mph, 197 mph, 193mph and many many runs into the 170’s effortlessly.”*The engines peak power is at 19 lbs of boost so there’s much more left in it! Bill went on to say “the amount of power from these engines is completely like nothing else out there.”

offshorexcursion 03-07-2016 07:26 PM

Sorry Nate to much politics involved if members dare post or comment on news before the almighty speed on the water does.

Thank for sharing I am looking forward to more success stories from all parties involved! To bad this site used to have some good discussions........

phragle 03-07-2016 07:44 PM

DAmn thats only 137 mph faster than my microtub...

Afew years ago we were all in awe of anything running close to 200, now you have someone doing it on pump gas and you guys are like ... Eh,,so what.....

I have been over 100 and it was a rush, over 200 has to be insane...

tmmii 03-07-2016 08:35 PM

Hearing it pass you is insane. Nothing sounds close to it.

Matt Trulio 03-07-2016 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 4412839)
Sorry Nate to much politics involved if members dare post or comment on news before the almighty speed on the water does.

Thank for sharing I am looking forward to more success stories from all parties involved! To bad this site used to have some good discussions........

Not quite sure what you're talking about or your issue is, but we're (meaning Jason Johnson, Eric Colby and I from speedonthewater) far from "almighty" and don't consider ourselves to be—and the only news we post is the news we produce. You posted text from Powerboat Nation—power to them, and you. Have a nice day.

offshorexcursion 03-08-2016 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 4412931)
Not quite sure what you're talking about or your issue is, but we're (meaning Jason Johnson, Eric Colby and I from speedonthewater) far from "almighty" and don't consider ourselves to be—and the only news we post is the news we produce. You posted text from Powerboat Nation—power to them, and you. Have a nice day.

It's all good Matt, funny joke. Nates thread sits without a reply for a day when this is some of the biggest news to come out lately, something everyone has been wondering about.

But politics do exist in the offshore world and SOTW mag, no reason to take offense to it, thats jusr part of business which is what you are trying to run.

Guess Powerboat Nation reported the news before you, again no biggie, it happens.

I'm just interested in more good discussion since all these sites have been slowing down lately. Even if SOTW post an excellent article half the time no one responds and the thread dies. That part sucks! Not sure if it's due to having to read it on another site instead of the text being on the actual thread or so many people reading them off Facebook and not brining the discussion here. Social media is evolving and frankly it's getting g a little chaotic for me, but that's a different story :-)

BTW I did not post any text from PBN, I simply made a joke in reply to Nate5.0 posting text from PBN, maybe my home was a little controversial, but it was a joke. Plus there was a positive comment thrown in after, all to get this thread going.

I always have supported SOTW magazine, liking your post, reaching out to you and your team helping with news and story ideas for you to report (which you have), and even participating in my own article. But just because this is the second time I have dare spoke out against you doesn't mean you should defriend me from Facebook again! Another joke, but wait 70% of all jokes are true.....huh.

Have a nice day

Indy 03-08-2016 06:15 AM

What is there to speak out against? Not getting your "jokes".

drpete3 03-08-2016 08:23 AM

any ways...............IMO these mutha F ers are CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved the story and since Todd built my engines in 2011 and getting to know him through that process I am wishing him all the luck.

From the sounds of it, the product he is making is outrageous. Now other way to put it and I am glad that others out there are supporting it.

offshorexcursion 03-08-2016 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by drpete3 (Post 4413023)
any ways...............IMO these mutha F ers are CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved the story and since Todd built my engines in 2011 and getting to know him through that process I am wishing him all the luck.

From the sounds of it, the product he is making is outrageous. Now other way to put it and I am glad that others out there are supporting it.

Your engines are pretty sweet and the other couple boats I've seen in person really impressed me!

Cool stuff!

302Sport 03-08-2016 09:24 AM

I understand they make the power but how many hours have been put on a pair of these so far???

Nate5.0 03-08-2016 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 302Sport (Post 4413052)
I understand they make the power but how many hours have been put on a pair of these so far???

I imagine all that will come out but from the read they seem to be putting in some work so they have to be racking up a few would be my guess.

SB 03-08-2016 09:33 AM

From another site, end of january this year:

Originally Posted by Gatorone;
My motors have over 75 hrs on them and 9 poker runs

302Sport 03-08-2016 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4413059)
From another site, end of january this year:

And have they been bolted in the boat for those 75 hours or have they been out for maintenance?????

SB 03-08-2016 09:45 AM

Wasn't mentioned. You'll have to ask the source. ie: the owner.

Nauti Kitty 03-08-2016 10:33 AM

Plenty of unhappy owners with those motors so far cause they don't know how to fix them
Now they say aem is the best efi but that is not true
Car guys don't know how to make boat motors
Just sayn
They are purty
NK

GATORONE 03-08-2016 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty (Post 4413091)
Plenty of unhappy owners with those motors so far cause they don't know how to fix them
Now they say aem is the best efi but that is not true
Car guys don't know how to make boat motors
Just sayn
They are purty
NK

I guess engine builders are now responsible for boats that have ethanol fuel left in them for 9-15 months? I'm sure we all know what mercury's answer would be.

dkwestern 03-08-2016 01:51 PM

I saw the 46 Skater Gotcha Now switched back to Merc 1350 in the classifieds. Were the Goodwins pulled for a new boat build? (Honest ?, not stirring any pot)

14 apache 03-08-2016 02:22 PM

The weakest link on that engine is the blower belt. That engine will shred them when it is turned up.

Nauti Kitty 03-08-2016 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by GATORONE (Post 4413150)
I guess engine builders are now responsible for boats that have ethanol fuel left in them for 9-15 months? I'm sure we all know what mercury's answer would be.

Pretty sure not every boat with goodwins had 15 month old ethanol fuel left in the tanks and everyone knows what Mercury would say
Hope they all run great with the new efi
NK

mike tkach 03-08-2016 09:28 PM

how many goodwin engines are in boats?

Bad Ass TA WS6 03-09-2016 12:28 PM

There's no question in my mind that the AEM Infinity is the best controller out there right now. In the hands of the right tuner there is no question that the safety and complexity of it and its peripherals are leaps and bounds ahead of previous ECUs. Doesn't matter what the environment it is used in is. They are willing and able to work hand in hand with the big guys out there. Boost Power, Goodwin, etc. Very cool stuff

14 apache 03-09-2016 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Ass TA WS6 (Post 4413582)
There's no question in my mind that the AEM Infinity is the best controller out there right now. In the hands of the right tuner there is no question that the safety and complexity of it and its peripherals are leaps and bounds ahead of previous ECUs. Doesn't matter what the environment it is used in is. They are willing and able to work hand in hand with the big guys out there. Boost Power, Goodwin, etc. Very cool stuff

Does the aem ecu do staged injectors? One thing I like about the holley is the 31x31 map. But the aem does look pretty good.

drpete3 03-09-2016 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4413348)
how many goodwin engines are in boats?

Not many. My guess is only 4 boats ever

SS930 03-09-2016 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 14 apache (Post 4413626)
Does the aem ecu do staged injectors?

Yes.

Wasted Income 03-09-2016 02:54 PM

The AEM looks like a nice unit, but to say it's THE best controller out there right now...?

PROEFI is revered in the car world as one of the best. FuelTech looks promising. Personally, I am a fan of the Holley Dominator, as it's what I run on my turbocharged hot rod. I mean if it's good enough for Tom Bailey's 3600 hp pro-mod, it should be good enough for a boat mota, right? :ernaehrung004:

GATORONE 03-09-2016 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty (Post 4413342)
Pretty sure not every boat with goodwins had 15 month old ethanol fuel left in the tanks and everyone knows what Mercury would say
Hope they all run great with the new efi
NK

Pretty sure(positive) 2 out of the 3 did have old fuel in them and the 3 being mine ... I drain the fuel if it sits over a month

There are three boats that have them.. The forth will be ready in a few weeks and the fifth will be out early summer.

joew. 03-09-2016 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by GATORONE (Post 4413667)
Pretty sure(positive) 2 out of the 3 did have old fuel in them and the 3 being mine ... I drain the fuel if it sits over a month

There are three boats that have them.. The forth will be ready in a few weeks and the fifth will be out early summer.

Man, if you drain month old fuel, how do you know the "new" fuel is good? Not trying to stir a pot, just trying to understand. Thanks!

TBAG 03-09-2016 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by dkwestern (Post 4413162)
I saw the 46 Skater Gotcha Now switched back to Merc 1350 in the classifieds. Were the Goodwins pulled for a new boat build? (Honest ?, not stirring any pot)

What did it run with the Goodwins before they were pulled?

GATORONE 03-09-2016 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by joew. (Post 4413708)
Man, if you drain month old fuel, how do you know the "new" fuel is good? Not trying to stir a pot, just trying to understand. Thanks!

Ethanol loses its octane pretty quickly(lots of studies on the subject) If you buy from a place that does lots of volume you usually don't have any issues.. I have internal and external knock meters, so if I have detonation from fuel it opens the boost bypass and bleeds off.. My dashes tell me if I have any knock

Cash Bar 03-09-2016 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by GATORONE (Post 4413833)
Ethanol loses its octane pretty quickly(lots of studies on the subject) If you buy from a place that does lots of volume you usually don't have any issues.. I have internal and external knock meters, so if I have detonation from fuel it opens the boost bypass and bleeds off.. My dashes tell me if I have any knock

Time to update that profile pic. :ernaehrung004:

tmmii 03-09-2016 10:51 PM

What are the drive, prop and crash box issues? Seriously with the acceleration I'm surprised the glass isn't coming out of the gauges.

Bills engines seem to hold up better than a 1500 race gas sterling. 75 hours is at least a routine rebuild or two if there are no big issues??

I do not mean to throw sterling under the bus on this, but don't know another builder that has built 1500+ engines year after year. His 1750/1900 have yet to be proven also but seem promising.

kilo 03-10-2016 08:49 AM

It amazes me how much knowledge “exotic power” guys bring to the table. It’s so much more than being able to just go out and purchase the power….you have to know the mechanics, the dos and don'ts, the signs of an issue and ultimately what action to take. I’d love to tell someone “if I have detonation from fuel it opens the boost bypass and bleads off”. Now, are there any more questions? haha

joew. 03-10-2016 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by GATORONE (Post 4413833)

That is cool

joew. 03-10-2016 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by kilo (Post 4413960)
It amazes me how much knowledge “exotic power” guys bring to the table. It’s so much more than being able to just go out and purchase the power….you have to know the mechanics, the dos and don'ts, the signs of an issue and ultimately what action to take. I’d love to tell someone “if I have detonation from fuel it opens the boost bypass and bleads off”. Now, are there any more questions? haha

Agreed! That was a great answer. I know pure platinum was looking bad ass at Tickfaw last year. At least what I could see through all the scattered ass he had running around on that thing.

Coolerman 03-10-2016 05:52 PM

Congrats to Goodwin & Pyburn for the successes that they have had thus far. Anyone who has built engines knows first hand that getting exotic hp numbers from even a BBC platform is tough enough, let alone designing something from scratch. The AEM is definitely a push in the right direction for this engine program.

Comanche3Six 03-10-2016 05:54 PM

Best wishes to Goodwin, mad hardware indeed.

SME1 03-11-2016 08:14 AM

I think most of the people are really missing the point here...one of the most impressive benefits of this engine big cubic inch package is to deliver high power at low engine rpm. I recall Bill saying in another post that the boat cruises at something like 130 mph at 4500 rpm. With the power to turn that mph at that low of an engine rpm, you can reduce the piston speed which significantly decreases several characteristics that lead to pre-mature engine failure.

It's unarguable that the most destructive event on any engine is detonation. Being able to design/machine the ideal combustion chamber to reduce the likelihood of that is a great benefit. This combined with the processing speed and available logging inputs of cylinder pressure/knock and proactively triggering outputs like boost bypass from AEM are absolutely the best combination available today.

I researched every ecu on the market including all the exotics like McLaren, Cosworth/Pectel, Motec, and I am confident that AEM has the best combination product, value, and support. I have called there tech support line numerous times and you instantly get answers with very little hold time. They email you wiring diagrams if you have any questions. Not to say that the others aren't good, but the service/willingness to help has been impressive. Calling some of the others is a waste of time if your email address doesn't include BMW, Porsche, etc...

So I really give Bill and Goodwin credit for developing/marketing new technology and not accepting being hamstrung by the marine industry standard. It is not easy to gain the experince these guys have developed and people should applaud that.

Also, people on here shouldn't judge the success or failure of a project like this by the number of units sold. It has become a sad reality for me to see that over the past few years most the people that can afford/own these high end boats really don't care about the quality or technology. They have more money than common sense and/or no desire to educate themselves enough to understand engines; so mercury seems like a "safe bet" and will always sell more units than Goodwin. Meanwhile the boatbuilders/Mercury dealers keep making hand over fist selling/servicing them. It's a pretty sad cyclical cycle which is probably a significant part of the explosion of popularity in outboard boats. Also, maybe if Skater could finish a boat in less than a year and half, Goodwin would have more sales opportunities. Couldn't help myself from saying it.

Now if only we could see a Brummet vs Goodwin 388 skater shoot out....wouldn't that be fun?😁

skater40 03-11-2016 08:33 AM

Now that would be fun.There is a shootout at Desert Storm April 30 and two,Brummitt powered skaters are entered.