Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 05-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Oh yeah, now I want a pair of those.. Long as they come with that same guy who feeds half a can of ether into the SC on start up... lol

Seriously, there is no substitute for cubic inches. Right now achieving 2 HP per cubic inch reliably out of a marine diesel setup is totally doable. Even 4 or 5 HP per CI is reachable for short bursts. But there is so little data on that sweet spot in between. These 2000hp truck guys don' t care about long term reliability. Unless you count 10 sled pulls as long term. And any big marine engine manufacture is all about cubic inches for long term reliability, and low rpm pushing torque. So maybe a 3 or 4 speed transmission is the key better top speed.

As the OEM truck engine designs keep getting better, so won't the aftermarket power side. Guess who has all ready marinized and dyno tested a new L5P for marine use?? And isn't afraid to run one WTF open all day long on a dyno either. This is how you test a diesel marine engine..

http://banksinsider.news/2017/02/l5p...-banks-cell-1/
Am I reading the dyne numbers wrong 350 hp and 577 Tq? My 6LP can do that with a little tweaking. I am already running 30 lbs of boost I guess I would have to ditch the mechanical injection to supply enough fuel to make 2 hp / CI. (6LP is 254 CI)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

From reading another post there talking about his 4 dyno's and how they are configured. Looks like they were mostly focused on measuring oil levels and blow by in different parts of the engine in that video. The other article has better still pics where you can see sight glass tubes in each cover, along with about 50 other sensors collecting data.

So yes it's happily spinning 3200R, cause the water brake is only set to a light load. But ya get the point, he is very thorough. I learned that when purchasing his Dmax marine intakes. Was able to supply me water temps in/out at specific volumes, pressure drop across the cooler, along with the charge air temp differences at 800hp. They just had to go look up some old logs. Twice, cause I couldn't believe he called for 85gpm water supply to that cooler....

Just finding someone with a dyno setup to run extended hours at any decent load level is not easy. Your heating a bunch of water every minute on that brake. Tyson knows all this stuff too. He's just gotta find someone willing to put their $ on the line and push stuff till it fails. Then fix the failures and do it all over again. Cause like with Audi and GB, that info doesn't roll out the doors for free.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Imo you've gotta take on the weight of a large engine to get the power you want. Any higher output you can get after that would be gravy.

I've read a book on the SR-71s development. They set their goals significantly higher than the requirements in order that the reqs could be met with out the goals being reached.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Tyson just out of curiosity what speed were you expecting the Skater to run with the two Cummins 750hp motors?

The reason I ask if you run a speed calculator with 15000 lbs boat weight and 1500hp with a constant of 275 which equates to 6-8% slip you get a number of 87 mph.
If you were getting 90-100 with a bit of dialing in I think you were doing well for that amount of power.
What sped are you looking to achieve with your new power?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

page 45 post 442 thru 444
guessing 23500 fueled minus some hi tech gadgetry, 3-4 other people, food, etc, and probably w/o safety gear
1500 pounds worth on the bermuda challenge from an earlier post,
speeds already achieved are a record in there own right.

if i had to make the decision to rerig this monster i'd be head first in a bag of these
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567237[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567238[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cookies.jpg  

Last edited by outonsafari; 05-08-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: never get the pics right the first time
Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
There is no tie bar on the Arnesons and I tried several different ways to keep them straight to each other and could not get them to stay apart once I would give it throttle. I tried just a straight hydraulic tie bar, then I put a trim pump inline, then a different high pressure trim pump and in the end had trim pumps and solenoid valves and the drives would come together when I would start going fast so I'm sure that was killing a lot of speed. I could make a big stand to go up and over the tunnel that would hook the drives together but I don't like how much leverage that would have against the trim ram so I did not want to do it. I think the fluid must have been leaking past the seal in the steering cylinders.
Is the issue with keeping the drives straight when power is applied in this application due to the torque of the diesels?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

why will a horse shoe tie bar not work on arnesons ?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Registered

why will a horse shoe tie bar not work ?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I will be in Holland Michigan Thursday afternoon through the weekend for a wedding. Would I be able to come tour the Skater factory and perhaps see this boat in person on Friday? Would love to check it out!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

The stock ram seal assembly in mine only had one seal and two guides.
I changed it over to four seals and never had any leak-down problems on any previous builds, hopefully the CAT shouldn't be any different.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567262[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_3930.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.