Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by noli
.What are the plans about survival equipment and where would you mount the raft?
We have a 6 person life raft with insulated floor and canopy ( I have 6 seats) and a backup smaller life raft. They are self inflating and will just be sitting in the floor with a rope attached to it and the boat with a Velcro quick release. The boat will technically be unsinkable but you never know what will happen.

We have two epirb's and we will both have fanny packs on with personal gps locators.
Lots of safety gear, water makers, medical kits, food, ect., on the Bermuda run we had around 1500 lbs of safety gear.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Orthobam
How common are encounters with floating shipping containers that have fallen off ships?
That would worry me more than well lit up ships.
What about all the floating islands of trash I've read about?
We passed tennis balls and a lot of ballons on the Bermuda run.
Hitting floating debris or even a whale is one of our biggest fears. There are thousands of shipping containers that are floating right at the surface that we could hit. even logs and stuff will make it all around the world. But there is nothing we can do about it but just pay a lot of attention and do the best we can to miss stuff.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

when it comes to debris : big ocean small mine little chance of hitting one

the added bonus of all the debris is you'll be setting a record for running the longest obstacle course

that's pretty amazing the prop slip over that much of a weight change

i don't much hasn't been thought and rethought not just on the boat but safety and security as well

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
The side of the boat and the bussle starting to take shape.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552217[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552218[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552219[/ATTACH]
I'm sure u have the bussle there for a reason , but I would think if u get caught in ruff water and have to idle or go slow for a while that the bussle will be fractured by the force of the water . Is there a way the water is relieved upon re entry into the water. Otherwise I think the law of hydraulic's will take over .
On the cockpit drains Why not weld a stainless screen on the back side of the cockpit drains to stop items from going out the back of the boat. Just my 2 cents.

Very cool build , wish u all the luck in the world ..
Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomFTM
I'm sure u have the bussle there for a reason , but I would think if u get caught in ruff water and have to idle or go slow for a while that the bussle will be fractured by the force of the water . Is there a way the water is relieved upon re entry into the water. Otherwise I think the law of hydraulic's will take over..
The main reason for the bussle is to change props and for safety of falling off the back and into the prop. On the Bermuda challenge we had to stop twice to change broken props and it was really hard to manhandle a prop in 12,000 foot deep water,in the wave, at night, ect.. So we made the bussle the exact length to be able to lower the prop straight down to the prop shaft.

When you are out in the middle of the ocean holding onto a shiny prop behind a boat you look like spinner bait to a shark.

My bussle is really high and its a lot thicker then you see in the mockup pics. The tunnel extension is going to take the most abuse and we have made it one of the strongest parts of the boat. The top of the tunnel extension is over two feet lower then the bussle so it should slow the boat down a lot on re-entry before the bussle hits. I also have the twin fin Arneson which will block the water from coming up to hit the bussle.
I will post pics of it finished tonight.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-13-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing....
Old 03-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Awesome build, Skater is top notch!
Old 03-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

it would be great if we can track your progress and where you are in the world

will you have a satellite tracking device like SPOT where someone can upload the map images here in OSO so we know which ocean you're conquering

pic of a sample SPOT (but on land)

Photo Credit: https://gearjunkie.com/spot-gen3-gps-satellite-tracker

Old 03-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Tyson that's exactly the same configuration I am going to run on my Arneson/Diesel boat without the digital side, I am just running the mechanical gauges to realign the drives if they drift out of line.
I am sure you have already thought of this but one thing I added to my engines was a mechanical flap on the turbo intakes to starve the engine of air in a runaway situation, just incase you have a turbo failure.
J
Old 03-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by noli

it would be great if we can track your progress and where you are in the world

will you have a satellite tracking device like SPOT where someone can upload the map images here in OSO so we know which ocean you're conquering
Yes, the long distance runs we have already done you could log in and see where we were, where we had been and our speed, and we had one live camera.

This time it will be a live tracking map not just a spot every ten minuites like the spot trackers are. (It will be turned off on certain trips at bad locations i.e. NE Coast of Africa.)

We will also have a live chart that will show when we started, our average speed, distance to go, time left to beat record, speed needed to beat record, fuel started with, fuel burn rate, fuel left in the boat, fuel needed to finish, ect.

And we will have live vital signs with heart rate, blood pressure, ect. We will be wearing wireless G-load sensors on our bodies and one on the boat that will show the g's were taking and maximum loads and number of hits at each load range.

And several live cameras that you will be able to log in and see in the engine compartments, in the cockpit from different angles, the drives, and out of the boat at different angles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.