Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 09-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Exhaust:

We decided to have a Heat shield blanket made for the exhaust manifold, adapter, and turbo housing instead of trying to water jacket all the parts.

To water jacket the parts would have added a lot of weight, taken a long time to make, and would have caused the engine to make less hp and be less efficient.
Now we will just have to see how hot the outside of the blanket gets with sustained high temp running.
The heat blanket will be painted with black high temp paint that will soak into the fibers and will look like the other attached pics when done.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-7.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-6.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-black-heat-blanket-1.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-black-heat-blanket-2.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressed by the numbers on dyno..But..
With 1300F EGT,s that turbo will not last long without waterjacket.. Wrong place to make shortcuts..
Old 09-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7075T6
Impressed by the numbers on dyno..But..
With 1300F EGT,s that turbo will not last long without waterjacket.. Wrong place to make shortcuts..
Mid sized cruisers and now merc. high performance engines are really the only place that you find water jacketed exhaust housings. In most of the really big yachts I have been on and 99.99% of the other vehicles that use turbos they do not have water jacketed turbos.

The only reason to do a water jacketed turbo is to not catch something on fire or burn yourself. The heat itself will not hurt the exhaust housing.

I had non water jacketed turbos in my Apache cat for 7 years and never had a turbo failure. Every once in awhile I would loose water pressure for some reason or another and the aluminum manifold would melt and send the aluminum through the turbo and it would eat it and spit it out the back. A few times the aluminum would pack in front of the turbo where I had to use muriatic acid to eat the aluminum to get it out of the housing, but then would put the same turbo right back in the boat. I was running 1600' exhaust temp in the Apache Cat.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Banks do a nice turbo heat shield, not sure if it would fit yours but the stainless pressed panel with blanket insert looks tidy.
3.33mins
Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I believe he was talking about a water cooled cartridge, or the center bearing assembly rather than exhaust housing.. That's the important part Cummins seems to skip, but everyone else uses.. I also prefer roller bearings if possible, which basically lasts forever even heavily loaded...
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That might be a good temporary solution but if you want the reliability and longevity I would start working on some water jackets.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

At 3.33 he is referring to the black heat shield housing available in black or stainless steel.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those blankets also like to keep moisture near the manifolds and will rust them out quickly over time. Don't ask me how I know this
Old 09-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Registered

Cup holders:

Now for the most important custom parts in the whole build...... The cup holders.... A lot of people use the big "Yeti" style tumblers/ cups. The problem is they are way to big for normal cup holders. We decided to make some cup holders that will hold the large yeti tumblers. These pics have a normal size cup holder and my cup holders. It will also hold the yeti can/small bottle holder with out it falling out. And cell phones will fit completely down in the cup holder and not fall out in rough water.

I also have Silicone tape that we can put around the top inch of the cup holder to keep the tumbler from rattling or scratching the custom painted tumblers.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cup-holder-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cup-holder-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cup-holder-6.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cup-holder-8.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cup-holder-9.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cup-holder-11.jpg  

Old 09-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice. I installed cup holders which also had Rod holders in the bottom in my console so I could stick the Hydra Shade umbrella in and give a quick twist to secure the umbrella with no ropes for quick shade while idling or rafting.

https://www.hydrashade.com/

http://www.mateseries.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.