Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 09-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
here is the link to the cup holders

https://skater-apparel.com/products/...i-rambler-size
ok thanks, two questions, do they have a drain? and do you have drawing with dimensions?
Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
ok thanks, two questions, do they have a drain? and do you have drawing with dimensions?
Yes they have a hole in the bottom that is 3/16" dia. unless you want one with out a hole in the bottom? if I have some without it drilled yet?
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-boat-cup-holder-drawing-001-jpg.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Registered

Contest: Weight of the Diesel engine package

We are going to have a contest to see who can guess the closest to the weight of the engine package. Winner will get a free Skater shirt (as long as you don't tell Tristan I'm giving away her inventory).

The weight will include engine, transmission, bell housing, flywheel, spring dampener, starter, intercooler, engine mounts, turbo, ect. basically a complete running package. There are a few other hoses and small brackets that are not in the pics that were on it when weighed.

UPDATE: Industrial Injection (engine builder is donating a shirt for winner also) We will have two winners, A first and second place closest to number.

It will be a closest to number high or low, not price is right rules. You can use one place decimal. example 204.7 lbs
The contest will end next week sept 26,2017 at 10 A.M Tuesday CST.
If there are alot of guess, After the contest is over I will edit this post to include every guess and the winner, then have all the posts deleted so there is not a page or two of posts people will have to go through down the road from now.
The winner needs to contact Tripac87 (Tristan) on here with there size for the shirts (I would forget to send it).

Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-weight-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-weight-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-weight-4.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-weight-6.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 09-21-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I missed something, but why are your transmissions not on them?

1255 lbs each?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
Maybe I missed something, but why are your transmissions not on them?

1255 lbs each?
my transmissions had an 8" drop to get down to the arneson. Now with the #8's I needed an inline transmission. And mine were big and heavy to be able to spin clockwise or counter clockwise full time but now the counter rotation is in the drive
Old 09-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Registered

UPDATE: I changed it from two different weights (engine only , and engine with rigging to just first and second place on complete engine with trans ect.) anyone above this post can edit there numbers.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

The picture in post 1223 shows the scale reading ?????, I'm going with that��
Old 09-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
To put a flapper and mechanism in the tube would have taken up space for water flow and not been guaranteed watertight.
We had originally built a slide gate for it but wanted to make sure it was completely water tight, it was heavier and the mechanism could fail. We will also have a rubber flapper in the back. We made a cover with little holes in it too and will have a spare sealed cover incase we loose one. But most of the time the solid cover will be on it, and we will take it off only to do long distance runs.

:::Anyone that reads this thread:::

Don't be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions. Anytime someone is doing something that is risking there lives there's no stupid question or suggestion to make it better/safer.

We have spent three years thinking about everything we could to make this boat the best/safest boat we could build for doing long distance endurance runs. We have consulted with everybody from old time offshore powerboat racers, sailboat racers, meteorologist, wilderness survival guides, sports medicine doctors, nutritionists, mechanical engineers and janitors. But nobody has done everything or been in every situation, so we will gladly accept any suggestions.

Thank you for any input,
Tyson Garvin.
I know this thread has progressed and i haven't made it through the 1200+ posts, yet, but I do have to say this is an amazing build. I do have a question about your electronics, though. why are you treating them like they are on two separate boats? Did i miss something or did you plan for failure in case one engine goes dead and you need to switch the power source? I'm just curious how you did it.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 461 Likes on 245 Posts

1400+125+25.9+100+75+40+30+80+30+hoses and bracket 30=
i'll have to double check my addition tho, i did it on the fly but
1935.9 pounds complete engine

Last edited by outonsafari; 09-21-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
I know this thread has progressed and i haven't made it through the 1200+ posts, yet, but I do have to say this is an amazing build. I do have a question about your electronics, though. why are you treating them like they are on two separate boats? Did i miss something or did you plan for failure in case one engine goes dead and you need to switch the power source? I'm just curious how you did it.
If we have a major problem with an electrical system 1000 miles from shore we would rather have a spare boat, two boats would be more safe then only one. So I wired the boat up like each side was a different boat. That way if there is something catastrophic happening to the electrical on one side the other should be ok. If they were wired together and the alternator messes up and starts putting out 60 volts then it could fry the engine computers, sat phones, gps ect. but if they were completely separate then it would only fry the one side and we would still have the ability to move and communicate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.